Housing Ideas for 12 Khaki Campbells

wiiblii

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum but I've been a long time lurker. After years of research, I finally brought home 12 khaki campbell ducklings. They were born October 15th and they're doing great so far aside from a slightly too small brooder box. I'm currently using a cardboard box lined with puppy pads and pine shavings. Today I will be buying a bigger rubbermaid storage container to give them some extra room and I'll continue with the puppy pads and pine shavings. They are pooping MACHINES!

I've been thinking about ultimate outdoor housing options for them. We have a very serious predator problem out here from bears to coyotes to raccoons and everything in between. In fact, last night a bear ripped off our storm drain, presumably to get at some acorns that the woodpeckers threw down in there.

So I'll need to build something SERIOUSLY predator proof and hopefully muck proof to keep down on maintenance. I really like the 4x8 raised call duck pens with the 30 gallon mortar tubs on 1/2" hardware cloth I've seen on here. My question is, will those work with khaki campbells if I build a couple of them to fit my 12 ducks. Any other ideas to keep them safe and clean?

Thanks in advance for the info.

I have raise Khaki Campbells in the past. You could house them this way, however they are very active ducks and really enjoy access to the ground. I feel these raised wire pens would not be ideal for them. If you took this pen style off the stilts and took the ground wire out they might be happier, and the pens would still be relatively predator proof. If you are worried about something digging into your pen you can try burying the wire, however I think you will find you might want to be able to move your pens from time to time to keep the pens from getting too muddy. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom