Our 1st egg!

Shep1478

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
Dahlonega, Ga

24 weeks after our neighbor gave us some fluffy one-day old Black Copper Maran chicks, we have our 1st egg! I just came home and found it!

Okay, so now the questions begin.. We do have a rooster, so I'm guessing that chances are good it's a fertilized egg. So to stop the process, do we refrigerate the egg? And, as we collect eggs, how long can they stay out of the refridgerator? Pretty obvious we're new to this huh?

What a thing of beauty!!

Collect your eggs daily and refrigerate them. You'll have no problem.
I work daily. I collect and clean later in the day, even in the summer. The problem I have is freezing eggs in the winter. When it's super cold (below zero), eggs will freeze and crack before I can get to them.

What a thing of beauty!!

Collect your eggs daily and refrigerate them. You'll have no problem.
I work daily. I collect and clean later in the day, even in the summer. The problem I have is freezing eggs in the winter. When it's super cold (below zero), eggs will freeze and crack before I can get to them.

I freeze extra eggs in Tupperware jugs for the winter or whenever the hens stop laying.

In the winter when i get frozen eggs i bring them in and remove any exposed egg-white by scratching off a 1/8 inch or so. Then i let the egg sit a bit until the white starts to melt enough that it lets go of the shell. I then pull the shell off and drop the frozen egg into a Tupperware jug. The kind with a red top that has a pouring hole in the top. You can freeze eggs in them with no problems. You can scramble the eggs and treat them like eggbeaters or separate the eggs for baking. The Tupperware jugs come in pint and quart sizes.

Congratulations on your new egg. I remember when I first saw my chicken's egg. I was so happy and excited at the same time. I always collect my eggs and refrigerate them.

Congratulations on your egg! When I spotted my first egg I ran like a crazy woman outside in the pouring rain, through the mud to get it. All in my pajamas and my brand new socks. No wonder my neighbors look at me like I'm from another planet
roll.png

Thanks for the replys yall. I have a cell phone video of my 9yo daughter checking for it.. It's precious! Not sure if I can post a video. My wife was pretty excited too. :)

Congrats!! That first egg is SUCH a thrill!!

But BCM's don't lay green eggs, they are supposed to lay very dark brown eggs...
...are your neighbors crossing BCM's with blue or green egg layers?
Looks like you have an 'Olive Egger' to me.

Will be curious to see the next dozen or so eggs if you could post pics of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom