Can you make any money raising chicks and selling pullets? Spring 2015...

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I have truly enjoyed the brooder stage with my chicks and am looking forward to the spring when I can order more chicks. I've calculated the math of buying double the amount I would like of females, raising them to maybe 8-weeks, and selling them as hand-raised, pasture-fed pullets.

What do you think? What do hatchery-quality pullets (Red Star, Black Star, Orps, etc.) fetch as 8-week old pullets?

Locally, in the Albany area, they've been snatched up quickly at $20-25. Is this typical? Thanks!

(Not trying to make a fortune...just support my "habit!")

You're looking to sell what's called a "Started Pullet". Depending on exact age $18 to $40 is reasonable.

Thanks! It doesn't exactly seem lucrative but might help pay itself off...I'd like a hobby that breaks even at least ;)

Combine selling eggs, harvesting meat from cockerels and selling started pullets and you may earn enough to buy yourself a present.

Just depends on the people around you

Whether you sell them for more than the money you put into them depends on a lot of factors, including what the local market is like for started pullets. I sell a few and find it pays to have some different breeds, people seem to want several, all different colors (and egg colors). To that end, I will be producing several breeds next year, mostly ones that I can sex at hatch, so I can raise only (or mostly) pullets.

I'd suggest starting small and advertise early, letting people buy them at any age they want them, or get on your waiting list for when they are salable size. And get a few each of several popular breeds, like Barred Rocks, Buff Orps, Black Australorps and Easter Eggers.

I was thinking Barred Rocks, Delawares, Buff Orps, Australorps, Easter Eggers, Red Stars, Welsummers. That would cover a bunch of chicken colors and egg colors (both of which, I'm a fan of, as a newbie chicken person.) I already have some of these as pairs and trios and may try my hand at hatching with a broody hen, but we'll see how that goes!! Not counting on it!! The three sets I have that are nice are Welsummers, Lavender Orpingtons, and Black Copper Marans--I bet they would all sell well, too.

A friend of mine has all RIR in her flock, and while they're big & pretty, I would much rather have a variety of colors and shapes walking around the yard--more interesting to me.

I have one of those big old Victorian farmhouses with a gigantic basement that has been home to various baby animals over the years and previous owners...we have a large Morton Building as well, but I'd kind of like to get this going when the hatcheries start shipping so they'll be "started" by the time people want chickens.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom