Please help me sex these 12 week old mixed breed chicks

StarMeKritten

Songster
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Moore County, NC
I have really struggled to sex this group of chicks that was hatched by my broody. Mom is a silkie/ cochin mix and dad was my mean old buff orpington rooster. I never intended for this pair to breed, but she got out for a few minutes one day and that was all it took. She had already gone broody before she got out and I gave her some fertile eggs to hatch. I had no idea that she was still laying and had added to her clutch... I was very surprised when these hatched a few days after the first one!

Here's a photo of all three together:

I have a couple head shots on my phone that I will add to the next post.

For what it's worth, I had to catch them in order to take these so their faces do look a bit more pink then usual... #1 has no comb and some small pinkish wattles. #2 has no comb and slightly smaller wattles with less pink. #3 has a small dark colored single comb that hides in his/ her crest and small pink wattles.

Last edited:
They don't have any saddle feathers... yet. All the other chicks I raised this year have started getting them between 9-14 weeks depending on breed. I'm not sure if that makes them female or just slow to mature males.

Looks like you hit the pullet lotto to me--I'm jealous
big_smile.png
. agree they're all at the young end for saddle feathers, but the coloring and build is all female to me. They made nice babies for an accident, didn't they? I'll bet they'll be great broody mommas for you later.

Looks like you hit the pullet lotto to me--I'm jealous
big_smile.png
. agree they're all at the young end for saddle feathers, but the coloring and build is all female to me. They made nice babies for an accident, didn't they? I'll bet they'll be great broody mommas for you later.
Thank you Donrae. They look pullety to me too but I've had a hard time believing that I would get so lucky... especially since the black sex link that hatched with them was a pullet too! It's a nice change of pace. Most of my other hatches this year were pretty roo heavy.. I'm definitely hoping for some good broody hens. They are always welcome here. :)

Back
Top Bottom