my new hen

She's probably just checking out the new digs(haha)...she'll settle down once she feels at home.

How old is she and how long have you had her?

Shes not laying , but the 2 I had laying stopped since we added her, I have 5 other hens just added her. ..

Last edited:
Oh my, thought it would get better, but seems to be worse. They are just taring her up. Prob gonna get rid of her. Plus she will not leave there nests alone :(

Oh my, thought it would get better, but seems to be worse. They are just taring her up. Prob gonna get rid of her. Plus she will not leave there nests alone
sad.png

I'm not certain just how you went about introducing her with the group, but if you've just gone and dumped her in with the other birds with no separation period, it will never end well. I feel sorry for that poor bird, all alone in a group of strangers with no friend to turn to. It is no wonder that she is hiding out in their nest boxes - where else is she meant to go? Out into the flock to be pecked to death?

Is there any way you can separate her from the rest of the flock, so that they can see her but not touch her? You need to keep her safe! They need to be kept apart for a few weeks before trying to integrate her with the main group. If you could keep her in a separate pen or area within the main coop, divided with wire, that is ideal. That way they can all get to know each other SAFELY.

Also, if you ever get the opportunity to get more hens, it is always easier to introduce a group of new hens rather than a single bird. The odds are just so stacked against her.

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom