compact backyard quail cage progress

goldhunter2

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 31, 2014
Florida
Its been a long time since I have done quail and never on this small of scale so I am finding some challenges in the small set up . This is what I have built so far for my back porch

(hopefully you will see pictures but no guarantees ..lol)

* the top to layers (#1,#2) are breeder cages with solid aluminum dividers cages are 24" deep 11" tall and 12" wide 1/2" mesh floor
* the next three layers (#3,#4,#5) are either grow out pens or colony pens 24" deep 11" tall and 48" wide 1/2" mesh floor
* the next layer (#6) are two brooders with 1/4" mesh floors 24x24x11 and have 1/2" mesh sides
* the bottom layer (#7) is a bit taller as i mite try to squeeze a trio of ringnecks in there
* each layer pens has a metal drop pan with 1/2 tall lip on the sides
* all pens except brooders have auto water cups in the back wall an feeders on the front
* all floors are slopped forward for eggs to roll out

I still need to add a couple more feeders and door latches , plus a main water container on the side but so far so good. I know ideally my grow-out and brooders should not be near my breeders but I am trying to conserve space an figure I can suffer the reduced production amount

I plan to build a small 14' long x 6' wide x 4' tall portable quail coop that I can move around over my pineapple garden (help clean weeds) this would be a extra grow out pen

I bought a picture window stroaform incubator with auto turner used (haven't had one of these since I was 12 ..lol ) I was trying to buy quail rails today since it has a auto turner I went to sale-fire.com and found a web site advertising 13.25 with free shipping but when I tried to buy form the globalindustry.com store they wanted to charge me a extra $10.76 witch just ****** me off so needless to say I still have to find a good deal on quail rails ...lol

I used to raise the Wisconsin jumbo quail and have been debating weather to go with them again or try the Texas A&M white quail , this type I raise just for meat & eggs for me not for sales to game preserves so I wanting the heavy hearty stock to get the most meat which has me picking between these two types of quail

I know everyone says quail do not need any more than a cage, but they really do. If you are getting real serious into this, you should at least develop maybe a tractor system so they can get on the ground. I would not have stacked cages. You could instead build an aviary so they can run around with a bit of room. They can not be happy in a small, sterile environment.

I had several store bought stack cages before when I raised quail but they just where not big enough for the volume I was doing back then (was hatching 5,000 to 10,000 a week), now I need a smaller setup and I'm living in the city so I can't build flight pens or big aviary's otherwise code enforcement will give me a hard time. I am planing one small quail tractor 14' long x 6' wide x 4' tall that I can move around over my pineapple garden and shouldn't be to noticeable form the street that will give me a extra grow out pen on the ground and help weed the garden :).

My breeder cages are actual a little bigger then commercial store bought cages and while they mite not look as nice the birds should have plenty of room for some happy productive quail , besides for my breeders that I'll keep for a while all the other quail will be put in the freezer at 16 weeks or when they reach slaughter weight of around 14oz to 16oz

Nice Cage build! A lot of thought and detailing went into that. Great design for us "in the city limits" folks. I have the same problem, I have to keep it small :(

Yea my neighbors seem to be fine with it now but hope they enjoy the bobwhite calls in the spring as much as I do lol. My texas blue scales just got big enough to start making calls and WOW they are loud! Not to mention the "jungle calls" my California valley quail make...thankfully my neighbors are not outside folks like my wife and I lol. Nothing like spending an evening after work viewing the quail :)

Luckily for now I have a vacant lot to the left side and behind me, I get new renters to the right every 6 months . If I can keep everything out of site so the code enforcement trucks can't see it form the street I should be ok

I can't image your neighbors will not like the quail calls in spring , personally I think its relaxing
big_smile.png

Nice cages! (Also love the hydroponics set up) It looks like this unit is in an enclosed patio area? I'm just wondering since it looks like at least part of your cages are made of chicken wire which is osmotic to predators determined to have a quail dinner. An enclosed patio would help keep them away from the quail.

How are you handling cleaning? Pans? Will the birds be on wire or bedding?

Back
Top Bottom