Does anyone know why my mandarin male is no longer colored ?

Petrisor

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
He is just like that from september!
Last year, the colours was not completed.... but this year is almost uncoloured.
P.s. It is not an older one, he is from 2012.

I've seen the reverse of this happen in poultry and some other animals, but have also seen a rooster lose color (not one of mine, another thread on this forum).

Firstly, the obvious question: are you 100% sure it's the same male?

Second, is that the same female beside him?

It's probably dietary, colors are dependent on nutrition as well as genetics. Some diseases can cause loss of color, some genetic problems too. Lack of complete nutrition is a common enough cause. If you're not sure his diet is solidly decent, time to upgrade it. Scrimping on cheap diets costs them health and longevity and you end up paying more in vet bills or replacement costs, because incomplete nutrition results in a myriad of diseases, many of them completely avoidable, due to lowered immune function.

Best wishes.

I'm 100% sure it's the same male! He also change his pair from the first photo with a younger one, the apricot (photo 2), which is also his daughter from 2013. I have also 2 other males, one from 2013 and one from this year. But I recognize them after the rings. This one has no ring. Sometimes he make pair with both females, and the other 2 males are alone. I don't know what's going on...

When I buy them, the guy gave me some advices. I feed them only with natural foods.

Of course, I will split them up in the next spring to avoid breeding closely related individuals.

I'm 100% sure it's the same male!

Sorry, I just had to ask, I'm sure you understand. ;)

He also change his pair from the first photo with a younger one, the apricot (photo 2), which is also his daughter from 2013. I have also 2 other males, one from 2013 and one from this year. But I recognize them after the rings. This one has no ring. Sometimes he make pair with both females, and the other 2 males are alone. I don't know what's going on...

Hmm. That does sound strange. I don't have Mandarins, but I want some one day. I don't know if the pair swapping is common with them.

When I buy them, the guy gave me some advices. I feed them only with natural foods.

What sort of foods, specifically?

Of course, I will split them up in the next spring to avoid breeding closely related individuals.

This guy you got them from, maybe he's seen this color change before? It might be something in their family line.

It also might be something in their environment disrupting their endocrine system. Are you using linoleum, PVC, plastics, concrete, or anything like that in their cages?

Best wishes.

What kind if food are you giving ?
And this is what he stays colored as after growing his colored plumage back from eclipse? So weird.
I would guess either it's genetic, feed or even parasites? You could switch food, but other than that, I have no idea how to go about finding out what is wrong.
I love your apricot hen :)

:)

I don't have Mandarins, but I want some one day.

I wish you good luck!

What sort of foods, specifically?

wheat, corn, oats, barley, sunflower, and river sand for a better digestion.

This guy you got them from, maybe he's seen this color change before? It might be something in their family line.

I don't know, he buy many ducks from different breeders especially from Belgium (Europe) and then he come to my country (Romania) and sell them.

It also might be something in their environment disrupting their endocrine system. Are you using linoleum, PVC, plastics, concrete, or anything like that in their cages?

Yes I do! I use PVC to keep the water in the pond. Do you think this might be a problem ?

All the best!

Last edited:
What kind if food are you giving ?

He started to color in september, a little. And now after almost 3 months, he's still not completely colored... I never hear about this, and I never seen this problem to other ducks.

I think is something genetic, too.

Thank you, she was a surprise for me, because both parents were normal mandarin ducks. You can see them in the first photo.

Last edited:
:)

I don't have Mandarins, but I want some one day.

I wish you good luck!

Thank you, and same to you.

What form of protein do you give them? Also, what multi-mineral/vitamin supplement?

Yes I do! I use PVC to keep the water in the pond. Do you think this might be a problem ?

Quite possibly... PVC is one of the biggest proven endocrine disruptors there are. Best to avoid if possible, but that said many people use it without noticeable or serious problems... But that said, many problems are effectively invisible and only show up over generations, or as cancers, or sudden 'mystery' deaths.

All the best!

Same to you. :)

Back
Top Bottom