Coop

sydneygirl89

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Vacaville, California
Hmm. This has been a very unlucky week with lots or questions from me. Last night it poured, and my chicken coop got soaked. The chickens were dry, but the ground was not.. Im trying to clean out the mud and water, but the smell I'd unbearable and I don't know how to get rid of it so I can try to do something about it. I have a few questions I need answers to. How can I get rid of the smell so I can clean it out? What can I put down instead of dirt that isn't hard to clean out, it doesn't smell when it gets a little wet, and it is safe for the chickens? How can you build a roof so that the coop doesn't et spake again, because apparently mine isn't good enough. Will my chickens have trouble readjusting to the new things? Please leave me answers or websites that will help me

Do you have a picture of your current setup? Lot's of folks use sand for a flooring, and add sweet PDZ for the amonia smell. Still working on my coop, but I'm actively reading a lot right now...

welcome-byc.gif

How many chickens are you housing?
Dirt floor coop right now or is it the run?
Materials you have on hand?
Budget?
Pictures are certainly a HUGE help so folks can give reasonable advice.

My set up has a wood floor in the coop and metal roof. My run is exposed. It gets wet and muddy from time to time but has never had a bad odor build up. I use pine shavings in the coop.
A poop board would certainly help keep the droppings contained for easy clean up if you are not already using one. Most poo happens at night and a poo board makes for less on the ground or floor.

I'm using pine shavings/deep litter in both my run and my coop. No odor or wet feet problems. Everyone is right,,, seeing some pictures would certainly help us help you. I would suggest a tarp to keep subsequent rains out until you can address your wet coop issues. Oh, and do you have a run with your coop, or just the coop?

Back
Top Bottom