What gender are these 6 weeks old Australian Araucanas

cwrite

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Queensland, Australia
I have 11 chick & can't believe how much red I'm seeing in their combs. Any advice on gender will be much appreciated. I haven't had this breed before so I'm not sure if I'm guessing correctly. I hope to move them to their new homes before any crowing starts.

Chick 1 - I think roo

Chick 2 (Dotty) - pullet

Chick 3 - roo

Chick 4 (Baby) - unsure

Chick 5 - unsure

Chick 6 - unsure

Chick 7 - pullet

Chick 8 - roo

Chick 9 (Rumpless) - really hoping pullet

Chick 10 - roo

Chick 11 - unsure

I'm not sure but I have a Cochin pullet whose comb was very red by 12 weeks old. We thought she was a rooster but her comb and wattles never got any bigger. I wouldn't judge on redness alone, though they are very red for 6 weeks old. It's a start but I'm going to go with your guesses on this one. That would be my best guess. I'm leaning towards pullets for your "unsure" chicks. Goodness... I don't really know.

Last edited:
CWrite when I had my aras I looked at how big the legs were first then the comb redness

I'd say pic 2 is possibly a roo by the size of the legs and feet.

4-pullets
5-Pullet
6- roo

Guesses as real life looking is better than pics

Hope this helps a little

Colors are pretty good. Congrats. :)

Sometimes I sound like a crackpot saying it's a sign of health for chicks at quite young ages to show red or pink in the faces... But there you go. I have some young ones now that have had red combs from a very young age too. Lots of people think pullets should stay white or pale until they're actually reaching point of lay. :/

Generally as a rule of thumb with young chicks, the ones with thick spikes are male and the ones with thin spikes are female. You can see which ones are developing much thicker spikes already, I think you're right about most of them at least... But, these aren't like the breeds I've been dealing with at all. Here's some info on them:
I have 11 chick & can't believe how much red I'm seeing in their combs. Any advice on gender will be much appreciated. I haven't had this breed before so I'm not sure if I'm guessing correctly. I hope to move them to their new homes before any crowing starts.

Chick 1 - I think roo - I think you're right. Has a very male look about him, not just in the comb development either.

Chick 2 (Dotty) - pullet - I agree

Chick 3 - roo - X2

Chick 4 (Baby) - unsure - nice colored comb but very, very tiny serrations, can hardly call them spikes. Female I think.

Chick 5 - unsure - blurry pic, feathers over comb, hard to see, but possibly male, the spikes look too large... Not sure.

Chick 6 - unsure - pullet I think.

Chick 7 - pullet - X2

Chick 8 - roo - Not sure, spikes are inbetween-ish in size, but probably male

Chick 9 (Rumpless) - really hoping pullet - does look like it from this pic

Chick 10 - roo - looks like it, yes

Chick 11 - unsure - X2, can't tell with the feathers in the way

Best wishes.

Thanks chooks4life for your input & BantamLover & Wyandottes for your confirmation.
As far as the standard goes, they have been disappointing in the muff and beard department. The yellow chicks were the only obvious ones to have a little pouf, but at least some of the lavender ones have grown some crest as they have feathered in. Their comb is supposed to be a pea comb & I don't see the typical male three rows in any of the suspect males. It's quite hard to see what other Australian pea combs look like because there is so little information on them and very few pictures. I expect that the pea comb should be typical, but whether we have that here with the limited gene pool is something I have yet to find out. Hopefully this will change with time. : )

Back
Top Bottom