What cross breed is my roo? 8 weeks old

purplesquirrel

Songster
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
This is Brian.
Brian was born very pale yellow (I knew he was a boy from his appearance and attitude)

As he grew, he developed a Speckly black collar so I thought 'ok a light sussex cross'...
Now the speckles have multiplied down his back, I assume soon to cover his whole torso.

I have a list of the breeds running around together..

Welsummer
Black rock
Cream legbar
Cuckoo Marans
Black Marans
Black copper Marans
Light sussex
Orpington - Buff, gold laced, black, orp, blue splash
20 colours of pekin
3 colours Appenzellers
Speckled sussex
Lohman brown layers
Brahma
Silkies
Sablepoots...

He has 2 feathers on each sticking out of each leg, as though he had a booted relative.

I was thinking, maybe a light brahma x cream legbar?

Any help would be awesome, thanks

Definitely a light Sussex cross, with those white legs. When I had a pen of them the juveniles often got those speckles along the back. He may change once he matures.

Ah I thought so, but he definitely has to be a cross, as the lady I got the eggs from had over 300 chickens of all the breeds listed above, the cockerels running around were all pure but the hens were a mixture of pure and cross from the year before.
He's a very manly cockerel, his comb got red within 3 weeks and he grew big quickly and now even his tail is long with a high curl in it . He's so tame, when ic all him he comes running, I love him! :)

This is a pic of a 10 week old pure cream legbar roo (I pilfered it from google images, originally from BYC)
He doesn't have pure white in amongst the black bits, there are tinged of very pale brown/cream like a less barred version of this guy.

It's either CLB or Cuckoo Marans.
Can 2 breeds MAKE barring or spots like this? Or are they just inherited from a breed with spots/speckles?

Back
Top Bottom