new here!

Liz3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 25, 2014
Seattle, WA
hi, I'm liz. my partner and I recently got our first (very small) flock of chickens - we got them at six weeks, a buff orpington, a black sex-link, and a brown-red ameraucana (potentially an easter egger?). they're about 5 months now and acclimating to the (relatively mild) seattle cold. they've just started squatting! I'm wondering if they might start laying even though it's getting into winter, but who knows. excited to see what happens and to learn from all of you~

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC - if they are squatting, the hormones are raging, and they may very well lay in spite of the short day length. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on sourland. You will likely start getting eggs soon. Black Sex Links in particular are egg laying machines that lay well in cold weather. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

Welcome to BYC Liz! Nice to have you join us. Let us know when the first egg shows up, that's always exciting!

Hello and welcome! My flock is the same age and one of them started last week. Check out the post "First Egg Countdown"

thanks all! I checked out the first egg countdown and will definitely be sure to post when one of ours finally lays! happy to be here.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It sounds like there may be some eggs coming down the pipes soon. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom