Did I just kill a good egg (be honest)

sarahbeth003

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
Colorado
Day 28. 2 eggs left, one smelt really bad tossed it. Figured the other was bad, some veins not seeing movement. Broke it open, there was blood and it kicked a couple times then stop. Did I give up too soon? :( :( :(

If this was a chicken egg, no. The latest I've seen one hatch under conditions was day 25. By day 26 I toss any unhatched eggs. Was the incubation temperature lower than the recommended?

They were chickens. It was my first attempt at incubating, so the temp may have dipped. Need to pay more attention next time

Day 28. 2 eggs left, one smelt really bad tossed it. Figured the other was bad, some veins not seeing movement. Broke it open, there was blood and it kicked a couple times then stop. Did I give up too soon?
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
It is possible that it was still alive, but the probability that it would have hatched and been healthy isn't very high. I have read a couple sources that have had 27 day hatches that were healthy, but the probability decreases the farther you get from that "hatch day". Most people don't wait till 28 to discard. I personally tap into the air cell end to check for movement before opening the egg completely because no matter how late they are I wouldn't want to feel like I killed a chick without giving it a chance. I would have gave up before you so I wouldn't say you gave up to soon.

Back
Top Bottom