Sleepy Girl all the time past 2 weeks..

Babybird60

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
sorry..i should have started this thread...

I have a mixed bird ...part jersey giant and RIR i think, but a couple of weeks ago my husband had to put down one that we had that had a crop deformity, but my girl Brownie.... almost seems depressed. We separated her from the others....but she just has the same symptoms as nikkicoolmama described. The constant falling asleep... we brought her in today for a few hrs....warm bath to ensure no egg was stuck,,,i even took the hair dryer to dry her..she seemed to enjoy it. she did eat and drink a little... but still just falls asleep all the time. We started her tonight on some genreral antibiotic...

It's really cold outside and their coop is about 45 degrees. She doesnt seem to like the cold.....

Looking for some feedback and help....

posting more comments that i updated to someone elses thread... again sorry.. :)

Personally, i don't think chickens actually mourn another chicken's death. I think they could be stressed by the other chicken's disappearance, which can 'help' an underlying disease/illness to surface. Is she eating and drinking? Pooping? What does it look like?

In answer to Enola's comment previously on my post..

Her poop has been mostly normal, but yesterday when we brought her in, she did have a couple of nasty green waterry diarrhea. so we are nto sure if thats from just not eating and only drinking or if its something else.

she is drinking, we started a general anitiobitic - oxytetracycline, a probiotic, and an electrolye in her water.. She seems to be a tad more perky this mornig, i fed her some scrambbled eggs and they are almost gone.. shes drank almost a pint of water since last night... her crop is not impacted or sour. we have not dewormed our flock of 7 as of yet...

sometimes she just appears as if she is so cold, and sleepy.. she does stand up and stretch a bit when i walk into the coop just a few minutes ago... however, it wasnt long before she was back to her hunkered down position. tail down, fluffed out as if to say i just want to nap. she's inside the coop away from all the other bird... which are full Jersey Giants...

She's such a sweet girl.. even yesterday when she was inside... she seemed to love the warm bath, the dryer... ( i honestly thougt she would freak out) but didnt want her to be wet when she went back to her bed..

just wis we knew what else to do.

thanks any feedback is greatly appreciated...

do you think we should deworm as well?

i also checked for mites... and her legs are fine.. smooth.. etc.. no apparent physical injuries... although she has always seemed to be a loner...once they got a little older.. we got 12 of these babies at the end of march, and we hatched 3 ourselves... but we lost 2 because the larger birds pecked them... then my husband had to get rid of 4 roo's due to aggression - so the flock has been calm and content... until once about 2 weeks ago had to be put down.. we think it had a deformity from birth and just hung in there as long as she could....

otherwise she has seemed normal up until now...

Last edited:
I think you should start the entire flock on Corid to treat for coccidiosis. I would treat them for a minimum of 5 days. Hunkered down with puffed out feathers and 'napping' a lot are classic signs of cocidiosis. You should probably worm them sometime in the near future.

thanks so much.... where is the best place to purchase something like that... we have a tractor supply that carries items... Just not sure where i might buy it..

She ate all of herscrambled eggs, drank most of her water.... got the Corid this afternoon and have started her on that. Made her another scrambled egg and put her to bed for tonight.... hoping she will be doing better in the am.... poo was not green and watery... just brown and thicker,... so hopefully. . This will get her going in the right direction.

CleNing the coop is next on the order.... whats the best thing to disenfect with?

Corid info:

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

Corid Dosing picture

-Kathy

Edited to add: I always treat for a severe outbreak.

Last edited:
The de-wormer I use is Safeguard (liquid or paste), and the amount I give is 0.23ml per pound orally for *five* days. This amount will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms.

-Kathy

Kathy ... how much of the corid can i put into a pint feeder... i stared yesterday with 1/16 tsp...hoping thats enough... i just didnt want to over medicate.

Thanks
robin

Back
Top Bottom