The guilt is killing me!

HenriettaBB

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
I need some advice. I' feel so guilty omg. So... We buy a roo. Roo flies coop. Get new roo. Old roo shows up. I insist on keeping them both. They fight. One is bloodstained but is still free ranging and walking fine. Blood attracts hawk. Hawk takes roo AND my girls!:( the roo wasn't so bad to lose but my girls!!!
1f62d.png

Oh that is awful! Poor girls! Hawks usually aren't great smellers - Are you sure it was not just a coincidence?

Hawk definitely didnt show up because of 'blood'.
How it is? Take roo and all hens. Hawk got a backpack where put hens?
It was hawk for sure? They are all gone or all dead in place?
P.S, I feel sorry.

Last edited:
Omg ok so we just found our smallest hen ( not even laying yet) shivering and when she saw us she ran for us and I took her, and the last remaining roo to the coop. My fav hen is gone:( we raised them from chicks. I was at a basketball game for about 2 hrs came back to huge hawk. I think it killed them and just kept coming back for more.

I wouldn't blame the smell of blood, the smell of chicken would attract anything attracted by blood long before they smelt that. Not to mention hawks hunt more by sight so movement than smell.

The hawk might have been attracted to the commotion and a body? I wouldn't assume that's what it was, they are more likely to pick them off one at a time over a week or so than wipe out a whole flock in one go and after attacking one the others would have scattered and hid so not been continuing easy targets. I would be searching for signs of four legged predators or if it was the hawk the others could still be in hiding so keep an eye out tonight some more may come home at bedtime hopefully

So sorry to hear you have had such an awful thing happen.

Last edited:
Hawk always bring away only 1 victim, if it aint too heavy.. So mby your other hens are hiden of hawks and can come out even in next morning.
Is there a mess off all bird feathers?

Last edited:
Yes lots of feathers and our rooster just came home with cuts and little bits of blood. I miss my baby matilda.
1f60c.png
she would talk to me and hop on to my lap. I pray to our great lord she comes home.:(
1f614.png

Back
Top Bottom