Need advice/help/experiences,Pekin female cough/voice changes now

kari1981

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
Hello I am in need of help/advice/experience. I recently had a thread about my pekin female 8month old coughing. She has been coughing well over 3 months now. It seems to get better and then get worse .. Well the last 2 days now her quack/honk voice is changing. Kinda like she's losing her voice. Her coughing is now sounding more silent and not loud anymore.But you still see her chest move up and down. After shes quacking alot she now makes a grunt noise,like shes stuffed up or something. Theres no other symptoms. No nasal discharge, She eats,drinks,baths,plays with our other 5 ducks she grew up with. None of them have any symptoms. I can't afford the vet yet as its bad timing. I am on day 2 of tylan50 1/2cc orally. She has plenty of water to dunk head in so thats not a issue. I always clean out wet shavings and straw everyday. I clean fecal up everyday. I am stokedas to whats going on. Am i missing something here? Could this be aspergillosis? Does aspergillosis progress slowly over a period of 3 months? Whatever it is,it doesnt seem contagious since the other 5 show no signs of this. Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me.
I wanted to add that I purchased oxine. I read stories on it. I have misted her for 30mins the last 2 days.

It sounds quite a bit like aspergillosis. Symptoms are rapid breathing, silent gasping, losing the voice, and increased thirst, but if it becomes complicated by a secondary infection, there can be other respiratory symptoms. Unfortunately it can become a chronic disease, and other than removing any sources of mold, there isn't any common treatment available. The oxine should be good for helping on her and in the coop. Here are some links for reading:
http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/indexhome.htm?secure/veterinary/Poultdis1.html~main
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=3241&
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/aspergillosis/overview_of_aspergillosis_in_poultry.html

Thank you for the links.i will be reviewing them. Ive read up on some asper websites and she doesnt have the rapid breathing or anything. What would they look like gasping? I never see her having trouble with her breathing. Its just always been this coughing! But now some voice changing. Can it still be asper without the heavy breathing? Sorry. I am just so worried cuz I am a new duck owner and they are only for pets and nothing else.

I would not rule out aspergillosis, and I wanted to add that my Runner Einz screamed so much at the new ducks a couple of years ago that now her voice is different - more high-pitched. She is fine otherwise. So, you are within a spectrum of possibilities still. Proud of you for making sure you catch something serious early.

Ok last night when we locked them up in their pen, she(Pebbles) didnt quack :-( she is known for her quack,always quacking away...this had me worried,I could barely sleep last night. This morning I let them out and she did do some of her quacking but not as much as usual but I was glad to hear her quack. Ive noticed that where her breast is,theres a line down it,like more sunk in. What does this mean? The others look more full there. And now I think of it.its looked that way for wks now.

Back
Top Bottom