broken feathers - Please help!

The Scarlet Hen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 18, 2014
Hello and Good morning. I if anyone would have some advice for me. I have a hen, Scarlet, who has a small cluster where her feathers have been broken off near the base. Her skin is a nice normal color but it does seem a little swollen, Im not sure if a should A) remove the feathers that have been broken off, put some kind of ointment on it and cover it. B) leave them in, put something on it and cover it. C) remove her from the flock and put something on it. D) do nothing. E) something other then what I have come up with. I thank you in advance for any and all help, I truly love my girls and would like to have her fixed up as soon as possible!
smile.png

Do you have a rooster? Have you checked for lice or mites. If you don't have mites or lice and you don't have a rooster...I would not pull the feathers out. If her skin looks healthy otherwise I would put a saddle on her. You can find a simple plan online or purchase them from multiple places online. Since the feathers are broke they will likely not regrow until her next molt. If you need help with a saddle I can show you one in a few minutes. If you use one just make sure the check that she's clean under there every now and again.

Thank you for the reply! I do have a rooster, and I did check for and pest, there where no pest to be found. I am assuming that the rooster is to blame, that or another hen, she is pretty low in the pecking order. I would love some help with a saddle, they are new to me.

Im sure this matters, most saddles I have seen seem to cover the hens back, her missing feathers seem to be more on her wing. Near where the wing meets the body.

My rooster caused the same damage to my pullets, but once they had their first molt it was almost like the feathers were stronger. I just kept them covered until they were grown in fully and we haven't had any issues since.

Thank you again for the reply! I will check it out and get her fixed up. I really do appreciate it!

No problem. I really hope it all works out. As long as there isn't any blood it should go pretty smoothly. If she does get a little bit you can spray on some blukote to cover it up :)

Back
Top Bottom