please help ducks foot with pictures

duck mom 1103

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
ontario
My duck had what I thought was bumble foot, I've been soaking in Epson salt and putting vetciclyn on I did try to open but couldn't find anything like in the many videos I've watched. A vet is not an option at this moment. Can someone walk me through what to do, I've stopped trying to open after the first time, my duck was bleeding a lot and it was hard.to stop. She's not even limping and she did lay an egg last night after two days not laying. Also when I squeeze nothing comes out. Please please help.

Did you have a chance to look at the photographs and read what Haunted55 wrote about using clear iodine?

I would start with that. Is the foot or leg warmer than normal? If the infection has started to spread, the duck will need antibiotics. Duramycin 10 is often used by members, if I recall correctly.

Yes I did thanks do you think I could use the red kind? It is warm but not more than I usually notice really doesn't seem to bother her but I could use the antibiotics anyways can u buy them at the TSC store?

I would dab just a tiny bit on the bumble.

Do you have any Epsom salt? I would make a warm Epsom salt and water solution and soak the feet in that for as long as we could stand it - might be 10, 15, 20 minutes, to soften it. E.s. is a laxative, don't let her drink it. A compress - just soaking a clean cloth in the solution - wrapped around the foot is good, too.

For tonight, I would dab the povidone iodine ointment on the bumble, and then - - - can you get to a store that sells clear iodine? If I were you I would call around. I could only find it at Walmart, so I bought two bottles - they were only a few bucks apiece if I recall.

The clear iodine liquid is what seems to make the difference. It seems to form a scab that can then be soaked and easily removed after several days.

Is there a feed store where you can get Duramycin10?

TSC may have what you need - give them a call. (The closest ones to me are over an hour's drive away . . . not that that has anything to do with this situation with your little duck).

Thanks so much u don't even realize how much I appreciate your advice. I love this duck more than most humans lol. I will go to both Walmart and TSC in the morning for those items and do what u suggested for the time being. If you think of anything else please share! I just want her to get better.

Remember to call first - it depends on where you live, some stores don't carry all the same things, I don't know why.

I understand about loving ducks.

Is she part of a flock? I am wondering if she needs to be in a relatively warm place, I am not sure at the moment if you are in a warm climate or a cold one. Forgive me if you have already posted some of the details. Edit to add - mercy, I am tired. You're in Ontario….apologies.

So, if you don't have Epsom salt, you can just soak the foot in lukewarm water before applying the iodine ointment. No need to cover the foot, but I'd do it just before her bedtime, when she is less likely to be walking around or swimming. The ointments wear off, the longer you can keep it on the better. That is the nice thing about the clear iodine. It seems to soak in, you only need a few drops then you wait 3, maybe 5 or 6 days and it seems to be working during that time.

Last edited:
I live in Ontario and right now it is -16 but she is my only duck and she lives inside my house. I will do just as you suggested I have been using the Epson salts but I will try to soak it longer.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom