Newbie here!

crowfamilyof5

Hatching
Jan 26, 2015
I'm new here and relatively new to raising chickens as well. As I child we had chickens, and have pictures of me holding my pet hen wrapped up in a baby blanket. LOL Last year we purchased 6 chicks at about a week old from a local breeder. We had 2 dominiques, 2 buff orpingtons, 1 splash orpington and 1 blue orpington. We lived in a neighborhood and couldn't have roosters, so we only ended with the orpingtons. Just as they started laying eggs, we moved to a different state and my husband wouldn't let me move my babies with us. So, I re-homed them to a good friend who is enjoying them immensely.

Our new home is in the country on two acres with no restrictions. Over the past couple of weeks I've been purchasing chicks. We now have two 2 month old Easter Eggers, two 1 month old buff orpington, all girls. Then we have the babies. Three Bielefelder chicks that are about a week old (one boy, two girls), one 3 day old chick of unknown origin that was so darn cute we brought it home regardless, and five 3 day old straight run Australorp chicks. So, I have a baker's dozen with 13 chicks currently. I don't plan on keeping any roosters except for the Bielefelder roo, and hope to get at least 2 or 3 pullets out of the Australorps. Looking forward to getting to know everything.

Oh, and besides our chicks, we have 3 kids, 3 dogs, 5 cats, 2 parakeets, and a bearded dragon. We live in North Carolina.

Wow! Sounds like y'all have a full house!! I also live in NC and think it is a wonderful mix of city and country living! Welcome to BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

It sounds like you have a nice varied flock! Good luck with your chickens and other animals.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You seem to have a nice varied flock, and a nice collection of indoor animals!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom