Brooder in dirty basement??? need advice

zinkie

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Southern NH
Last winter one of my girls went broody in the coop and hatched 4 chicks right in the coop. I never moved them and all was fine even though it was 5 degrees outside. This year 2 of my girls have gone broody at the same time in the same area (it is under a cabinet that is fixed to the wall) a favorite nesting area to all!

Last year, I was able to put a box onto its side, so I could place food and water for the chicks to get to and I put up a board to give them some privacy.

This year, with 2 broody hens, there is less room. I don't think there is enough room (aprox. 2 ft x 3 or 4 feet) to put that box on its side for the food and water.

So I was thinking of bring them into the house and putting them in the basement. We have a room that is not used much and I could easily set up a nice area for the momma's and the new babies.

The only problem is that it is where we often get water in the spring and summer months (very dry now) and things stored sometimes can get a bit moldy. It is not bad, not like there is mold you can scrape off or anything like that, but I worry.... will it be ok for baby chicks...... or am I introducing them to respiratory issues from the day they are born?

Am I worrying to much about it?

It is a valid concern. Mold isn't good for any living being, and birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. I wouldn't put them in there, but that's me. Especially if there's a chance that water could enter their space as well.

Last winter one of my girls went broody in the coop and hatched 4 chicks right in the coop. I never moved them and all was fine even though it was 5 degrees outside. This year 2 of my girls have gone broody at the same time in the same area (it is under a cabinet that is fixed to the wall) a favorite nesting area to all!

Last year, I was able to put a box onto its side, so I could place food and water for the chicks to get to and I put up a board to give them some privacy.

This year, with 2 broody hens, there is less room. I don't think there is enough room (aprox. 2 ft x 3 or 4 feet) to put that box on its side for the food and water. How many chicks are they going to hatch? Skip the box and think of a more space-saving way to get the job done. Chicks don't take up a lot of space in the early days. They will spend a bunch of time keeping warm under Mama hen.
Best,
Karen

So I was thinking of bring them into the house and putting them in the basement. We have a room that is not used much and I could easily set up a nice area for the momma's and the new babies.

The only problem is that it is where we often get water in the spring and summer months (very dry now) and things stored sometimes can get a bit moldy. It is not bad, not like there is mold you can scrape off or anything like that, but I worry.... will it be ok for baby chicks...... or am I introducing them to respiratory issues from the day they are born?

Am I worrying to much about it? Skip the basement. You are right to be concerned.

Back
Top Bottom