No eggs....Are my hens too old?

Kim's Chix

Songster
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
My hens stopped laying in October. Not one egg since. Some of my hens are 4 years old. And some of them were chicks from this past spring. Is it normal for them to not lay that long? When should I expect eggs? Or should I just resign myself to store-bought until spring? Also, does anyone know when ducks start to lay? I have two female and two male, I bought them as ducklings last spring as well.

What breeds of chickens are we talking?

Some of my hens that are turning 4 this year just started laying again this week. In my experience, I've not really had a bird quit laying for good, even my 7-8 year old hens gave me a few eggs a week. I'd say just be patient until the days get longer. You've already fed those older hens all winter, I'd not cull them now but reap the benefit of eggs all summer. If you want to cull, fall is the time.

My girls are different breeds. I have red stars, black stars, americaunas, black Sussex, white leghorns, RIR, and a few mutts as well. The RIR, red and black stars, and the americaunas are the older ladies, the rest are the new girls.

Providing supplemental lighting to extend the length of their day will keep them laying all winter.

The drought is over!! Only got one egg to be sure, but it's good to know that the eggs are starting again!
celebrate.gif

My 3 year old hens didn't lay very consistently last summer and quit during the winter even with supplemental light totaling 15 hours a day. The one old hen left will be culled in spring to make room for some better layers.

I'm curious where the OP lives, what latitude. It might account for the long period of non-laying if these hens were at a very northern latitude. My own hens only commenced laying again two weeks ago, much longer this time than in past years. I wonder why. They're a mixed age flock from seven years down to eighteen months, so it's not entirely an age thing.

Back
Top Bottom