I'm so sick from eating my quail's eggs??

JKav

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
Long Island, NY
I was so proud of my deviled bobwhite eggs today, until I was violently ill.

Earlier this week I made them fried (over easy) and was sick. There is a stomach bug going around, but both times I had eaten quail eggs a few hours or less before becoming ill. It first happened Saturday, then today, Thursday. I've been under the weather in between but eating ok. Just dizzy and some tummy issues. Which is why I think it may be the quail eggs, but why? So now I'm afraid to eat them! My daughter and I have had them before with no incident.

Omelette lays one daily and they never sit for more than 24 hours. I wash all eggs in dawn dish soap and store them in the fridge. I did notice one in each batch was cracked a bit. Any ideas??

Odd that you've had them before with no problem but sometimes our systems change. My husband takes spells with eggs. There were years when he couldn't eat them, couldn't stand to smell them cooking. Then he's suddenly able to eat them. I don't understand it, for sure.

However, you said you noticed that one egg in each batch was cracked a bit. That makes me think that could be the problem. A crack in a shell can allow bacteria to enter so I don't think I'd eat any that had cracks. I also see where you wash them before putting them in the fridge. I know chicken eggs have a protective bloom which keeps out bacteria and you aren't supposed to wash them until right before you eat them. I don't know if that's the same with quail eggs but might be worth looking into.

Hope this all resolves itself. Good luck!

Thank you. I noticed one floating as it was boiling which is when I saw it was cracked. They will get tossed for now on!

Do quail eggs have a bloom or just chicken eggs? Your husband, is this only with quail eggs or chicken eggs too?

I find nothing when googling except salmonella which doesn't present this quickly.

Hey jkav! Ok some quick easy math
Cracked egg+washing=vary bad!
I eat my cracked eggs that the skin is not torn. BUT IF IT FLOATS IT GOES!!!!! Evidently eggs that float are bad, so don't eat them!

Eta: also yes quail eggs have a bloom

Last edited:
It is also possible to develop an allergy to quail eggs. I know someone who can eat chicken and duck eggs but gets very sick if she eats quail eggs.

Quail eggs make people sick to the stomach often. According to some studies 1 quail egg contains about the same nutritional content as 2.2 chicken eggs, so if you are eating more than 4-5 it's no surprise you're getting sick. It's a lot for your stomach to handle all at once. A friend of mine's mother is sickened every time she consumes quail eggs, without fail.

Quail do not have salmonella in their digestive tract like chickens do so if it was bacteria it most likely didn't come from your quail eggs. Unless of course it got their from your handling procedures or from that one cracked egg.

Your husband, is this only with quail eggs or chicken eggs too?

His is only with chicken eggs. We don't have quail so I'm not sure he's ever had a quail egg. It's very odd and it doesn't matter if its a store egg or a home egg. He couldn't eat them for years and - suddenly - he was okay with them and actually wanted them. I notice he's kinda' off them again as I'll ask him if he wants fried/scrambled eggs and he's been turning them down recently. He is okay with food that has eggs in them - baked goods, etc.

It's something to do with his particular system, I'm sure.

Thank you for all the responses. Maybe it was the cracked one? For now on they get tossed, even if I think I cracked it going into the pot. Oy, I really hope I'm not sensitive to them.

Is 6 really a lot? She's a bob and her eggs are much smaller than other quail. Now I know why they call them Deviled eggs?

Back
Top Bottom