Pullet or Cockerel? Need some help!

Anndan

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2015
Upland, CA
Hey everyone! This is my first post here so I hope I'm doing everything right! Anyways..

About a month ago my boyfriend and I purchased 8 baby chicks from a small local hatchery. We have 2 Ameracaunas, 2 Rhode Islands, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Delawares. He said they were all 80% chance female. I had high hopes and was pretty convinced of this for the first month or so.

One of our Delawares seems to be growing a bit bigger than the other. I also read somewhere that their stance can determine if they are a roo or not. One of them seems to have a pretty fluffy neck, the other growing long thin feathers. I have a few photos attached of them both, I apologize for the quality!

It's probably too soon to tell but would love input, thanks everyone. ^^

Here's a photo of all our chicks (minus one) enjoying the outside for few, so cute!

Here are the two in question!

I'm going to go the other way and suggest they are both cockerels although the photos are not ideal as they are blurred and the back ground colour makes seeing detail difficult.
My reason for saying cockerels is that they both have noticeably thick shanks (the darker skinned one particularly) and big feet and there appears to be some pink in their combs(again the one with the darker skin.... the back one in the last photo), which would be more yellow at that age if they were pullets.

Last edited:
Sorry for the photos! Yes they are both Delawares and the darker markings on them are black. I have yellow counter so I think they are messing with the photos a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom