Gow many hens to roos is ok.

Abunari

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
I got 12 Barred rock chicks and it is looking so far like i have five hens , two question mark genders and the rest males. If i only end up wih five hens would it be wise to keep one rooster. Ive heard you need 12 to one ratio or he will be rough on the ladies.

I hope some more come to be female than five. I am ok with only keeping the hens for now with no rooster but am ok with one male also just dont want to have a bad ratio of ladies to gentlemen so to speak.

Generally an adult rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and they will be overbred. IF you don't intend to hatch eggs or sell fertile eggs, the hens will be very happy without a rooster, and will continue to lay just as many eggs (non fertile ones) Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

You can post photos of the chicks you aren't sure of at "what breed or gender is this." Someone may be able to tell you now if you have more males coming up or not. Welcome to the flock.

The 10 to 1 thing is about more of an industrial standard for achieving 100% fertility....but it's not a bad ratio for a flock for over breeding issues.
Many breeders use a much smaller ratio, but control who is with who for how long as it depends on behavioral personalities for both cock and hens as to whether there will be problems.

do you really need or want a rooster? If not, get rid of them all and raise some more hens that will at least give you eggs instead of being big fat freeloaders.

so speaks the person with the overful grow-out pen of big fat freeloading cockerels
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom