2 eggs and not brooding

LisabethBrooke

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
My small flock of geese - I think there are 5 females and 2 males. I've seen them breeding so I'm sure the two eggs are fertile, but none of the hens are sitting on them. They did make themselves a really nice nest - unfortunately thought it was out in the open. We live in the boonies and there is a huge predator problem. And we're also in central SD, so the weather is chilly yet. I was wondering how long they can leave the eggs and not sit on them.

I moved the nest into their little house - where it is that they lay and rest...it also just got a fresh heaping amount of hay. So the eggs are at least somewhat protected - this early in the season it is possible for us to still get a snow storm, but also still be up into the 60s. Lately its been chilly (low 50s with a wind chill) and at night its been mid 30s, not freezing but pretty cold.

Do I take the eggs and incubate them? Or just lave them and see who sits on them? 5 hens and only 2 eggs and I have no idea who it is that is laying them.

If you really want the chicks I would take them and hatch them. If you don't really care if they hatch or not wait and see what your birds do.

I read someplace that they may not brood until there are more eggs in the nest - like 7. And to help them start to brood you can add chicken eggs. Does anyone know if that works - good idea bad idea? And if so does it have to be fertilized chicken eggs or just ones bought from the store? And how many? They're so much smaller than the goose eggs.

I read someplace that they may not brood until there are more eggs in the nest - like 7. And to help them start to brood you can add chicken eggs. Does anyone know if that works - good idea bad idea? And if so does it have to be fertilized chicken eggs or just ones bought from the store? And how many? They're so much smaller than the goose eggs.
More than likely the goose would crack chicken eggs since they have big webbed feet and they are heavy. I don't think they would stand up to a goose. Gooses eggs are hard shelled and just about need a hammer to crack one open. If she has already laid 2 eggs then your going to have to just give them time you'll get a broody there is plenty of time. Mark the eggs so when there are enough and someone goes broody you can take out the oldest and you'll have a better hatch rate, usually after the first week of laying and there is good mating going on you can leave the eggs in the nest. You made the right decision to move the eggs it's never a good idea to let our geese nest out side sooner or later a predator will find them.

I now have 8 eggs in one nest and 2 in another, but still no goose setting on her eggs. Do I need to take the eggs and incubate? Will all the hens just not set on their eggs? They've been breeding so I'm sure they're fertilized eggs. But they've been left alone in the hut, buried in the hay, so I'm worried that they've gotten old... What do I do?

Gosh I'd think you'd have a broody by now but I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't getting close. So up to you takes some of them and incubate and leave some or take them all.
Have you been marking them so you know the oldest?

Yes, I know which eggs are the oldest. Are those the ones I should start incubating? When can do I start candling the eggs? How do I know they're still good eggs? They're pretty cold to the touch.

Yes, I know which eggs are the oldest. Are those the ones I should start incubating? When can do I start candling the eggs? How do I know they're still good eggs? They're pretty cold to the touch.
Take those and put into bator, candle at day 7 she will most likely keep laying and eventually go broody so if the first eggs you take aren't good you'll have more to try.

Back
Top Bottom