Need help for pests driving my hen crazy! (still need help)

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop

My Blue Orpington has started picking/pecking herself all over...under her wings, her butt, her chest. She whips her head around like something is attacking her.
I had my husband hold her while I examined the base of her feathers yesterday, and I saw nothing unusual. But I dusted her all over with Sevin dust in a nylon stocking.

Today, she is still battling something. I picked her up and checked again and today I see large light brown flakes at the base of her feathers near her vent.
I feel terrible. What can I do to help her and give her relief?

I have Sevin dust and Ivermectin Pour-On (5mg ivermectin per mL)

Edited to add photos.
Also, I am told it doesn't look like there are any mites/lice. Thoughts on how this might occur?

Last edited:
One day probably isn't long enough. The Sevin will kill them just fine, but you will have to remove the litter and spray the coop as well. Sevin also comes in a liquid for spraying which is convenient for this. You will also have to repeat the whole process in about 10 days, because the treatment doesn't kill the eggs which will then hatch. Be sure to spray the undersides of the roost, as there is one bug which lives there during the day and gets on the birds at night.

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Update: My hen has had 2 treatments of Sevin, with little change.
While she does seem to be picking at herself slightly less, today she is on the roost a bit puffed up - sometimes with eyes closed, sometimes not and every so often she shakes her head. I am concerned and not sure what to do next. Right now she is the only one.

Should I try Ivermectin? If so what is the dose//procedure?
Should I bring her in the house and bathe her?

I am fairly new to chicken keeping, but if if she is that miserable, a bath with baby shampoo (least likely to strip her natural oils) seems like a very good idea.
Keep her warm after until she is dry.

Whatever her affliction is, her skin looks so dry and flaky that healing may take some time.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more experience.
Just in case you haven't seen this-

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/02/how-to-give-chicken-bath.html

Last edited:
Thank you, Lynne.
I am ambivalent about a bath because it is so cold here...but I guess it might be her only relief.
idunno.gif

Poor thing! Yes, I think you would have to keep her inside for the night, perhaps.

I know with humans, after an infestation of scabies, for example, even after a thorough treatment and clearing of the scabies mites, the left over skin reaction can take several weeks to clear. I'm not sure if that is the case with chickens.

I hope she doesn't have some kind of secondary yeast or bacterial infection.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom