Setting Eggs on the 27th...

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
I'll be getting Chicken eggs on the 27th from the local farm. I was hoping to get duck eggs from the farm because they said it was $7.00 per dozen duck eggs but when I called they said it was $7.00 per egg!! Oh well. Quite a disappointment. But I'm still getting chicken eggs... Setting them the same day I get them.

anyone else planning to hatch on the 27th

Last edited:
So today, March 27th I got up and got my incubator out and put it on my desk next to the fish tank. I had to move everything from my desk to put on my bed for temporary storage. lol. I first plugged in the automatic turner for 1/2 hour to see if it still worked (i haven't used it in a year). It still works. Then i unplugged it and plugged in the incubator for an hour before I left and left it plugged in while I went to pick up the eggs from the farm. I also filled the plastic tray with water in 1 part of it.

When I got home, I checked the temp/humidity in the incubator and it read 46% humidity and 99 degrees. Perfect? The eggs went in around 2pm. The incubator was on for about 2.5 hours before the eggs went in.

the last time i incubated eggs i accidently forgot about adding water as the weeks went by and ended up having no chicks hatch even though they were alive at hatch down (don't know what happened). I put reminders in my phone every 5 days. lol.

Thanks. I have read people's posts about their chicks hatching and wish it was day 18 already. lol. I just started with the incubation. lol.

I set eggs on the 27th as well! :) I've hatched eggs before, its been about two years since I hatched anything though! This is my first time hatching shipped eggs. So I am sooo anxious to see if any of them are survivors. The days are going by so slow!

Good luck on your hatch though!

I set eggs on the 27th as well! :) I've hatched eggs before, its been about two years since I hatched anything though! This is my first time hatching shipped eggs. So I am sooo anxious to see if any of them are survivors. The days are going by so slow!

Good luck on your hatch though!

awesome. We must share pictures of our hatch (from candling to hatching). I only put in 1 dozen so i am hoping that most of them hatch but i'm not putting all my eggs in one basket sort to speak. lol. The last time i hatched 12 eggs i did get at least 50% hatch rate which was good. Last time I did 2 dozen and non hatched due to my stupidity. lol.

I finally got my incubator (Hovabator 1602N) to stay at 100 degrees. I am soo happy that it's staying at one degree.. The highest i had it so far on this hatch was 102 and had turned it down a smudge so its right at 100. Yey. The last two times I incubated eggs I worried non-stop. lol. i try not to worry about the small stuff but it's hard.

Last edited:
We're using the same incubator! Did you install a fan on yours? I can't remember what I did my last hatch. I have an old computer fan attached to the incubator, but it doesn't work. I can't remember for the life of me if it did work two years ago. I'm thinking, if this hatch works out I will be buying a proper fan for it. I'm not liking this still air method. It's too nerve racking. I can't wait to candle and see if anything is in there!

When are you planning to candle for the first time?

We're using the same incubator! Did you install a fan on yours? I can't remember what I did my last hatch. I have an old computer fan attached to the incubator, but it doesn't work. I can't remember for the life of me if it did work two years ago. I'm thinking, if this hatch works out I will be buying a proper fan for it. I'm not liking this still air method. It's too nerve racking. I can't wait to candle and see if anything is in there!

When are you planning to candle for the first time?

Hey! Awesome. I got my incubator off amazon. hehehehe. I don't use a fan with it. Never had to. the first 2 hatches I did in it were successful. Last years was 1/2 successful because i saw a lot of movement in the eggs but unfortunately due to my forgetfullness I didn't add water until lock down and think it got too hot in the eggs. :(.

I sort of candled a few already just to see what it looked like. But I am planning to really candle either Wednesday or Thursday (Friday the latest). What type of eggs are you hatching? Mine I believe are Rhode Island Reds because Leghorns or is it Foghorn Chickens? (I always get confused due to the Looney Tune character, lol) I think are white eggs?

My dream egg(s) are duck eggs so perhaps after this hatch i'll do duck eggs from ebay which will be my first time doing shipped eggs. If I end up doing any at all. hehehe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom