New chick mom anxiety!

City-Chickee

Songster
6 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Okay, I have little over a week before my six baby pullets get here and I am wigging out!!! I have been planning and researching and learning ever since last May, and placed my order for them in November.

Sooo...am I just going crazy or has anyone gone through this too with their first flock?

I'm so worried that the babies will arrive dead, or will die shortly after if I miss something
sad.png

I'm worried that once they're old enough and out in the yard they will be too loud for the neighbors

Or that they'll somehow escape and I won't be able to find them, or some evil critter will get them!! I know I've planned for those two things, but it still runs through my mind.

Looking for some supportive advice here from those of you who have been here / done that.

My first pullets (last July) were 10 weeks old when we got them. We had the coop and run ready. We live in a neighborhood where everyone has 1/3 acre to 1/2 acre lots, so not too close together. Not too much in the way of predators. We kept our girls in the run for about 10 days before letting them "free range" on their part of the backyard. We fenced off a good sized section for them from our dogs. I worried much more than I needed to but they are lots of fun and have been laying since Sept. We did clip their wings because we were afraid they would fly over the fence. I would recommend that. We did both wings. Just watched a video on You Tube. Very easy (not catching them though)! I'm sure it was quite funny watching the "Suburban Slickers" trying to catch chickens!
lau.gif
Now that they are laying ladies, they are easy to catch because they squat down when we approach them.

All that said, we got our first baby chicks last Saturday (3 days old). We have 3 Easter Eggers in our spare bath tub. That has been going very well. We bought them from a local feed store. Paper towels on top of shavings (as recommended here) was the way to go. They are eating, drinking, growing!! Relax and enjoy. Lots of peeps here to help!

My new little ones:

Right! You joined the right group! The BYC community is here to lend support, offer comfort and generous advice, and shorten that learning curve!
highfive.gif

I am expecting my first chicks in two weeks, and I'm feeling much the same way... Plus I'm worried about adding one (or 6) more thing to take care of on top of an already busy life. But I've always wanted chickens, and we just bought a house so I finally can!
Think positive, you sound really well prepared! Ask lots of questions, and you'll be a great chick mama!

Doesn't help that a nosy neighbor from over a block over came over to my hubby and was like "Hey, watcha guys building?" he told him a coop. He said "You guys can't have chickens in town, I'm going to call my City buddy and let him know what you're doing."

My eye started twitching as my hubby was telling me about this on the phone.

But my husband stood his ground and told him exactly what we researched
smile.png
As long as they are in the backyard, are 25 feet away from the neighbors house and we don't have a huge number of them, YES we can per our city ordinance.

Neighbor left, was over talking on his cell phone (probably talking to his "city buddy"). And waltzes back over. "Okay, well you better keep them clean".

Well no duh.

Some people
somad.gif

Doesn't help that a nosy neighbor from over a block over came over to my hubby and was like "Hey, watcha guys building?"  he told him a coop.  He said "You guys can't have chickens in town, I'm going to call my City buddy and let him know what you're doing."

My eye started twitching as my hubby was telling me about this on the phone.

But my husband stood his ground and told him exactly what we researched :)   As long as they are in the backyard, are 25 feet away from the neighbors house and we don't have a huge number of them, YES we can per our city ordinance.

Neighbor left, was over talking on his cell phone (probably talking to his "city buddy"). And waltzes back over. "Okay, well you better keep them clean".

Well no duh.

Some people  :mad:  

And this is why I live in the country. I dislike most people. LOL

Last edited:
Yes, I suffer from chick anxiety too, no question!

It's the combination of feeling incompetent & having to be away all day that really gets me. I *hate* feeling like I don't know enough (hence my lurking on this forum for a year before I jumped in & got my first chicks, but we all know book-larnin' is NOT the same thing as first-hand experience!), and I'm terrified something will happen to them while I'm at work, or the cat will figure out how to open the door and get them. I swear, EVERY morning and EVERY night when I go in there and all 3 are fine, happy & healthy, I say a quiet thank-you prayer! The first few days they were here, I was so nervous I was literally shaking - but having the "Mama Heating Pad" took a HUGE load of terror off my mind - b/c no heatlamp while I'm at work -and every day that goes by that they remain healthy and happy, they grow some and get a bit more robust.

I must say thank goodness for this forum. I wigged a little yesterday b/c of some mildly (not severely) drippy poop but found it on the "normal" list so I was able to relax again!

Thank you all so much for being so friendly and supportive of us newbies!

Yes, I suffer from chick anxiety too, no question!

It's the combination of feeling incompetent & having to be away all day that really gets me. I *hate* feeling like I don't know enough (hence my lurking on this forum for a year before I jumped in & got my first chicks, but we all know book-larnin' is NOT the same thing as first-hand experience!), and I'm terrified something will happen to them while I'm at work, or the cat will figure out how to open the door and get them. I swear, EVERY morning and EVERY night when I go in there and all 3 are fine, happy & healthy, I say a quiet thank-you prayer! The first few days they were here, I was so nervous I was literally shaking - but having the "Mama Heating Pad" took a HUGE load of terror off my mind - b/c no heatlamp while I'm at work -and every day that goes by that they remain healthy and happy, they grow some and get a bit more robust.

I must say thank goodness for this forum. I wigged a little yesterday b/c of some mildly (not severely) drippy poop but found it on the "normal" list so I was able to relax again!

Thank you all so much for being so friendly and supportive of us newbies!
I was definately thinking about the "Mama Heating Pad" set up, but then I got a certificate from Brinsea so I ended up getting an EcoGlow 20
smile.png

Still though, I feel better about that arrangement than constantly having to moniter the height of a heat lamp.

Definately thank goodness for this website!! I have learned so much between the articles here and what people post to the FB forum.

Like you said, really first-hand experience will be best. I know it was that way with my conure parrots - 'course I didn't raise them from chicks though LOL

Yep, my first chicks are coming in a week or so too, and I'm having major chicken anxiety!! Do I have everything they need? Will I manage to kill them by doing something stupid? Did I pick the right breeds? Will they be friendly? Will I even like having chickens?????? Oye! I feel like the cure to my anxiety would be to just pick up a couple of chicks this week at a feed store, but my husband is such a nay sayer, lol. :)

Back
Top Bottom