My Ducks Just Layed!

my4birds

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
My one year old Rouen ducks have just laid an egg! I am so happy and excited to try it out;)! I have a few questions though:
- How many eggs will they lay a week?
- will they sit on it when they are ready to have ducklings?
-what do I do to get them to start sitting on their eggs?

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
We're glad you decided to join.
frow.gif
There is tons of information on here, so I'm sure you'll find answers to all your questions.
big_smile.png

I've been sitting a couple Rouens, and they are very good layers (almost an egg a day) they've never gone broody though, so I wont be much help their. You should check out the duck section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your egg how eggciting for you :celebrate
Sorry but I'm not a duck person but definatly drop by the duck section link mymilliefleur left for you for all the duck chat.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Congratulations on the first egg! I don't know much about ducks, either. Posting in the Ducks section would probably be the best idea.
smile.png

Do you have any drakes? Have you seen them mating your females? If the eggs are not fertile , nothing will make them hatch. I don't know if ducks are only broody seasonally or not. Another good reason to head for the duck threads in BYC. If you had broody chickens right now, you probably put sleep duck eggs under them and remove their chicken eggs. The hen wouldn't know the difference (hopefully) but ducks eggs take a bit more time to hatch., so you don't want her sitting on chicken eggs also. She might abandon the nest once the first ones were hatched.

Back
Top Bottom