REALLY stupid question

Donna75964

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
I hatched some chicks about a month ago. Last week I went to feed them and I found one lying on its back. I thought, at first, that it was dead but when I approached it, it started to flop around and try to get up. I picked it up and turned it over and then it flopped around trying to walk. I realized that it obviously had something wrong with a leg but I don't know what the problem is or what caused it. All of the other chicks are doing great. Now, every time I check on them, it is on it's back and can't get turned over or upright. What should I do? I can't stand the thought of killing it because it seems to have such a strong will to live. I feel so sad and want to cry every time I see it like that.

I hatched some chicks about a month ago. Last week I went to feed them and I found one lying on its back. I thought, at first, that it was dead but when I approached it, it started to flop around and try to get up. I picked it up and turned it over and then it flopped around trying to walk. I realized that it obviously had something wrong with a leg but I don't know what the problem is or what caused it. All of the other chicks are doing great. Now, every time I check on them, it is on it's back and can't get turned over or upright. What should I do? I can't stand the thought of killing it because it seems to have such a strong will to live. I feel so sad and want to cry every time I see it like that.

Try giving vitamins in water especially those in the B family. Vitamin deficiencies can cause neurological symptoms. The other suspect would be mareks. What are you feeding your chicks?

I looked up Marek's disease and the picture it showed looked sort of like our chick but I'm not really sure what to do if that is the problem. None of the others seem to have a problem. I feel sorry for it and would love to see it get better....if that is possible.

What kind of vitamins? Do I just go to a feed store and ask for vitamins for chicks?

Yes, its neck is fine. It just can't seem to stand on its legs or stay upright. I go out every morning and every evening when I get home to help it get water. It drinks so much water sometimes that it throws it up. Last night I put it next to the waterer and put some hay around it to sort of keep it in that spot and I turned to walk out and when I looked back, it was already on its back.....SIGH!

Yes, its neck is fine. It just can't seem to stand on its legs or stay upright. I go out every morning and every evening when I get home to help it get water. It drinks so much water sometimes that it throws it up. Last night I put it next to the waterer and put some hay around it to sort of keep it in that spot and I turned to walk out and when I looked back, it was already on its back.....SIGH!

Well now, it's starting to sound like Mareks.
sad.png
Now the whole flock is exposed... it depends on which strain as to whether she will recover. Give the vitamins and keep food and water right in front of her.

ETA: there is no cure and she will eventually die from it even if she survives the original episode. Here is the short, easy explanation:https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

Last edited:
I'm thinking I may put it in a pen to separate it from the others so it doesn't get run over by them but it can still see the others and not feel alone. These chicks are only about a month old...hatched the end of Feb or beginning of March....and I heard one trying to crow this morning.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom