Brooding box for chicks to come

That's one of the nicest brooders I've ever seen! Beautiful job!

The most important piece of advice I give all new chick parents is to be very careful not to approach your chicks from directly overhead. This frightens them something awful, simulating an attack from a sky predator which is programmed into chick DNA to fear more than just about anything.

To handle baby chicks, slowly lower your hand down to their level, then slide your hand flat across the floor of the brooder until the edge of your hand touches the toes of the chick you wish to pick up. If you gently nudge its toes, it will probably step right onto your hand. Then you can bring the other hand in toward the chick like you did your first hand and cup the chick and raise it out. After a while, the chicks will learn to step onto your hand and you can elevator them up and out.

Just go very slow and easy at first until they learn to walk onto your hand when you place it on the floor of the brooder. After a while the chicks will compete for elevator "rides".

The most important piece of advice I give all new chick parents is to be very careful not to approach your chicks from directly overhead. This frightens them something awful, simulating an attack from a sky predator which is programmed into chick DNA to fear more than just about anything.

To handle baby chicks, slowly lower your hand down to their level, then slide your hand flat across the floor of the brooder until the edge of your hand touches the toes of the chick you wish to pick up. If you gently nudge its toes, it will probably step right onto your hand. Then you can bring the other hand in toward the chick like you did your first hand and cup the chick and raise it out. After a while, the chicks will learn to step onto your hand and you can elevator them up and out.

Just go very slow and easy at first until they learn to walk onto your hand when you place it on the floor of the brooder. After a while the chicks will compete for elevator "rides".

Great advice. Thank you so much! My husband is very creative And handy to have around. The Chicks and I are very lucky.

The pipe will be a nipple watering system. It is for when they are a couple of weeks old. We have this system with my grown ups and it works very well.

That's a hinged slick lid!
But how will you open it with the pipe and the lamp in the way?

How many chicks are you getting?
You might need a bigger space after a week or two.

That's a hinged slick lid!
But how will you open it with the pipe and the lamp in the way?

How many chicks are you getting?
You might need a bigger space after a week or two.

It is PVC it will move easy. Our incubator's instructions were off by ALOT. Each day more and more die. I have no clue how many we will have at this point. Also, guessing that one side at a time needs to open.

Back
Top Bottom