Shipped Eggs and Air Cell Question

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
On day 10 of the incubation of my shipped eggs, I saw that the air cell was on the bottom of the eggs. Eggs have been sitting upright in egg cartons with the large end up.

I tip them gently 3 times a day. Eggs are at a 45 degree angle.

My question is about the air cell. Is this normal? Should there be a concern?

What happened during hatching if the air cell remains at the bottom.

For those of you who have hatched shipped eggs where the air cell moved like this, did you have to do anything differently during the lockdown? Lay eggs on their sides for lockdown or keep them upright?

Last edited:
Bringing this up again... hoping some of you who are experienced with shipped eggs will share your experiences

For shipped eggs, it's usually recommended that you lay eggs on their sides during lockdown, even if they were upright prior to that. Make sure the largest portion of the air cell is facing UP when the eggs are placed on their sides for lockdown.

If you haven't already done so, it's a good idea to sketch the outline of the air cell on the shell. I do this at 7, 14 and 18 days of incubation to track air cell size and position.

Chicks that pip on the wrong end of the shell can face lots of problems trying to hatch. You may want to read up on this in the assisted hatching article in the Learning Center.

Best of luck on your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom