should I buy keets or adult Guineas?

cream puff

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Hi I am looking to buy guinea fowl, i have a choice of keets or adults, which should I get? Can I blend 2 adults who grew up together with three who are from a different flock? All are under a year old.

Keets definitely, I bought adults they are fine and I think they are great but given the choice I would have bought keets. Because they know home better and they are likely to be much more tame.

Keets will center in on home easier than adults. Yes- you can blend your other birds. As for keets hating you- I have raised mine from eggs and sure, they are wilder than chickens- as they are guineas, but they do not "hate" me. They listen for my call and son't dash away from me under normal circumstances. However, they are not cuddly- they are a game bird. The only time it seems this is not true is if they are raised alone.

I'm going to get 5 keets and raise them up with the flock coming in tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's replies :)

I bought 8 wo keets and they are fine with me and my son, but freak out with anyone else, including my husband. Granted, I spent a good deal of time with them, but even at that, they are not pets, are not cuddly, will not allow us to touch them during daylight hours, and keep their distance under most circumstances. That said, they were chosen as work birds - as tick eating machines - and I continue to be happy to have them and appreciate them for what they are. If I was to do it over, I'd have chosen younger keets for the socialization, though I don't know how much difference it would make. Luckily, they don't bully my chickens much as everyone free-ranges 12 hours a day and they have plenty of room to roam.

Back
Top Bottom