Help! Manly bits sticking out of vent?

NinjiChicki

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Ocean Springs, MS
I have a leghorn who has yet to shown his manliness to the ladies. He's approx 26 weeks old, no crowing or anything. Not that we would complain.

Here's the problem though! Earlier this morning I noticed he was a bit slow but didn't think much of it. Then just a few minutes ago I noticed that he had white poop dipping from his vent.. First thought was Vent Gleet, but the more I looked into it the less I thought it could be. Then I had wondered if maybe he could have a prolapse.. Is that even possible.. Well, we caught him, brought him inside and cleaned him up a bit. -there was a tiny trace of green poop when we did this..- Only to find what appears to be his tesitcals and other manly bits poking out..

We really aren't sure what to do, do we try to push them back in? What would help hold it best and what would the chances be that they come back out?? And what should I apply to prevent anymore infection?

Advice greatly appreciated!

Here we go.. Graphic!

Yes you need to coat them with Preparation H and push them back in. You may need to hold them in for a whlle.
Do you have a picture of his whole body? 26 weeks is pretty long for a leghorn rooster to wait to crow.

A friend of mine suggested some honey and then some lube.. We went ahead and did that and started to push it back in.. However when we did that the two little white balls popped out. Both were pretty solid with no green.. Didn't really bleed. The vent is now all back in and we're going to watch him for a while..

We're pretty sure he's a he.. Both of his sisters have been laying for about 3 weeks now..
Posting a picture from my phone in a moment.

Last edited:
He's separated for now, we have a couple extra crates just incase of such a case.
We dewormed a couple months ago before all the new girls started laying. Also give them a weekly treat of foods that are suppose to help ward off parasites.

Hopefully this is just some silly fluke and he will recover just fine. =)

Safe-guard goat dewormer.

They also get AVC in their water, weekly treats of pumpkin seeds and small servings of garlic to help prevent..
The seeds and garlic are typically mixed in with yogurt and oatmeal.

I also wanted to add that he's been very very slow to mature.. My husband thinks it might be related to a genetic problem?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom