Found a tick in coop

sunflour

Flock Master
8 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Macon,GA
I have read the article on the Poultry Tick and the tick I found today looks like a regular tick & is different then those in the article. But it was inside the door I open to clean the elevated coop, it was filled with blood. Don't know if it is a Fowl Tick, will explore the whole coop and roost areas tomorrow. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't worry until I checked around the roosts in the first hour after dusk. Did you happen to take a picture of it? Did it look like the ticks in the article?

I wouldn't worry until I checked around the roosts in the first hour after dusk. Did you happen to take a picture of it? Did it look like the ticks in the article?
Thank you for response. I didn't take a photo, wish I had. It was a large tick and I killed it and threw it out of the coop/run. My husband examined it and said it was just a deer tick. But I searched BYC and found your article and thread and got worried.

I have studied your photos and searched for images of ticks and bedbugs. And it did look more like a large deer or dog tick & likely male. It was quite large. I would had guessed nearly an inch long, but DH says less than 3/4 inch - but he saw it after I smashed it We have more than our fair share of ticks, my area is woodsy with lots of wildlife around. I have rarely seen ticks in what I consider unusual places, but they are usually moving and this one was immobile. But we have had excessive rain and maybe it was just hiding out from the weather?

My hens have shown no fear of the coop or distress when going to roost and their behavior has been normal. I found no ticks on them.

I have also searched to see if fowl ticks are in this area, I'm in Middle Georgia, and haven't found any current info on if they are present in my region or not. Outdated info says they are not in Georgia?

I will have my camera ready if I find any other evidence.

Your article is very well done, and I am honored you responded to my thread.

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words! It seems like it might be too large to be a fowl tick; hopefully that is the case. I recall reading reports of them in Georgia. I think they are found all along the southern US, but the are definitely more prevalent in the southwest US. I hope you haven't found any more.

@Gallo del Cielo

So far that's the only one I have found. But will keep watch. If I do find anymore will get photo.

I have never found any topic on regular ticks on chickens. We have a gracious plenty here and in 2 years have never found one on my hens. But it seems that regular ticks that attach and remain on would be removed and eaten by the chicken or flock members?

Deer ticks are tiny. Brown dog ticks and Lone Star ticks are larger. All ticks carry several nasty diseases; next time wrap it in the trash, and don't touch it or smash it barehanded! I wouldn't leave it in the yard. And remember that ticks like all warm blooded critters, including us. Mary

@Gallo del Cielo Extensive coop search and not ticks. Guess this was just a regular tick. Thank goodness..
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom