Anybody setting eggs this weekend? (4-25-15)

FoxyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2013
NE MN
I'm so excited to hatch my very first eggs this year! I have an Australorp who is a die hard broody so I'm going to let her finally be a mom. I always feel bad when I have to break her, she just wants to be a mom so bad! Well she is getting her chance this year. I ordered 9 eggs from a breeder in southern MN (I'm in northern MN) that should be here today or tomorrow. I'm getting 3 each of Welsummer, Easter Egger and Buckeye. I only have room for 3 more hens at the most, so any extra hens will go to new homes and the roos will go to freezer camp unless somebody locally wants them as roosters.
This is going to be the longest 21 days of my life!!
jumpy.gif

Anybody want to join me??

I set eggs on the 22nd. I set 6 goose eggs and a few duck. I also have goose eggs in my other bator due to hatch next week if they do with them theirs duck eggs which don't look fertile and chicken eggs due to hatch soon.

That's great! Do ducks and geese take longer than chickens to hatch?
I would love to have ducks some day, but I think I would need a separate coop for them and that's just not in the cards right now.
Well my eggs showed up yesterday afternoon and my broody happily tucked them underneath herself, it was so cute! So hopefully May 15th will be the day!

That's great! Do ducks and geese take longer than chickens to hatch? 
I would love to have ducks some day, but I think I would need a separate coop for them and that's just not in the cards right now.
Well my eggs showed up yesterday afternoon and my broody happily tucked them underneath herself, it was so cute! So hopefully May 15th will be the day!

They take 28 days to hatch. And I hope you have a great hatch!

We had our first mortality today, she broke one of the Buckeye eggs
sad.png

Maybe 9 was too many for her... I'm just not sure what to do with the mess. I cleaned the soiled bedding out but some of the eggs are crusted up with yolk. I don't know if I should try to wash them off or leave them be. My instinct is to not mess around with them too much. Any experience with this?

I set 8 Black Copper Marans eggs today, and will set 13 Polish variety eggs
tomorrow. I'm totally with you! All eBay eggs.

Last edited:
I'm incubating. I let my broody silkie sit recently and she was an awesome hatchee but not a very attentive mama. I ended up pulling her surviving chicks and putting them with the others in the chick nursery.

Back
Top Bottom