thegreenstitch

Hatching
Apr 24, 2015
I just received Maran, Speckled Sussex, and Columbian Rock baby chicks today! They are so incredibly healthy and friendly! My daughter and I have been raising chickens for the past 2 years and would never want to be without them again. This is our first group of heritage chickens, and I'm so glad we made this decision.

For those of you who haven't read Howard Ussery's book on raising chickens, I highly recommend it. It addresses every issue we've ever encountered.

Glad to be a member of BackYard Chickens!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your new chicks :celebrate Its always lovely when chicks are friendly, I love sitting out with mine and my older birds and just spending time with them it's makes it so much more fun when they are friendly. Mine love lap sitting and cuddles. Also makes life so much easier if any have any issues its so much easier to check them when they don't mind being handled.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicks in the future.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Sounds like you've got quite a family too! I've got 1 daughter, 1 son, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 ducks and about 26 chickens now!
wee.gif

Ah yes but I would not be with out them. I like to keep busy, I also have 10 3 week old chicks out in the brooding shed and I'm setting another 24 eggs in the incubator on Sunday. I just can't stop myself!! You sound busy too there!! I've not got ducks but have a friend who keeps trying to get me to incubate some of her duck eggs but I'm not sure I could cope with the mess.

I know, I dearly love all of them! The ducks are very messy, but they are so sweet! They have a nice set-up in our barn for winter and a coop with kiddie pool and creek in the summer.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Speckled Sussex are an excellent breed for children as they are friendly and gentle birds. My children made lap pets of ours. I love the chocolate eggs of the Marans. In my personal opinion, they are the prettiest eggs in the chicken world. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

HiI I love BYC! I have used this site for years! Decided today, i'd like to get to know you all. you all have such insight and experience! I have two pekings, a crested drake, (his mate died of cancer a few months ago) and a rescued blue swedish. Then someone dropped off a one legged cayuga and three drakes about 9 weeks old in a box outside our local co-op... so after "fostering" them for a few months.. sure that is what I tell myself anyway that gets me into these situations. =) i know have a total of 8 ducks. And my little 3/4 pound female one legged duck just hatched her first egg five minutes ago. so so so cute. I didn't have the heart to take them away from her. She has her own little pen away from her Possy. We call them the gangster boys cuz they jump all over my 13 pound male peking. I have to keep those little guys separated. I have been a duck owner for 6 years now and I love it. I give one of my ducks Gracie heart medicine every am and pm and my little crested maggie duck had cancer intervention for 6 months. she did FABULOUS until the end and then in 5 hours we had to put her down. so sad, yet I feel good about how happy and healthy she was in her last 6 months. My friends make fun of me cuz I pay so much in vet bills on what they call a 5 dollar duck. I don't care. any animal that comes to this house has a forever home! I have two dogs on medications and both have severe allergies. but wonderful goldens. I have a cat on a renal diet that is 14 and another seventeen pound rescue cat. Our little family of special needs is fine by me! I am excited to get to know you all!

Back
Top Bottom