Leftover "Photo Chickens" join our family

NaysChicks

Hatching
Apr 20, 2015
Mountains of Pennsylvania
My husband and I own a photography business and bought 6 baby chicks for a "kids special" we ran in March. We grew quite attached to the little girls (all Rhoad Island Reds) and decided to keep 3 of them -- the other 3 found a good home with the farmer who got the chicks for us. Now, $500 later for a coop, run and various supplies, we are waiting for the weather to get warmer so we can put them outside in their new home. It is supposed to be 32 degrees tonight, so they will stay in the basement in an old rabbit cage for another week, at least, until the temps get warmer.

They are six weeks old: Dino, is the biggest and most dominent. She looks like a Tyranosaurus Rex when she is at full attention, so our 17-year-old son named her Dino (for Dinosaur). Lola has the prettiest eyes and is our gentle one. She likes to be held and snuggles in our arms when we pick her up. Lucky was aptly named after she was deemed to be "lucky to be alive" after being attached by a HUGE red-tailed hawk the first day we had them outside. We had built a temporary netted run which we THOUGHT was hawkproof until one of the big guys decided to come in feet first, tear down the side of the netting, and proceed to attack our babies! Lucky was the target and we thought she was a "goner", but she managed to escape under a lawnmower and survived -- we were SO HAPPY! She is our "LUCKY" little chiken.

I have been playing an on-line game called Farmstory for 3 years and have figured that I will give THAT up and focus my attention on being a chicken owner FOR REAL!

I have been reading everything on this site!!!! I was told by a fellow flock owner in my town that BYC was the BEST place for information. Being "newbies", we have much to learn, but I feel this site has really prepared us!

Sounds like she was more than Lucky. I would call her Miracle. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Have you visited the Learning Center, it's a great place to start a chicken education.

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us!

Enjoy your flock!

Back
Top Bottom