Maybe a sign of hope

Ladyhawk12

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 13, 2014
so Ive read through several threads here and taken a stool sample to my vet to try and figure out what is wrong with my hen. Her poo best matched black head disease,and I know they were fighting over a Earth worm just over a week ago. Also upon upon inspection her crop was quite nasty feeling . Like a squishy warm water ballon. My vet found no worm or worm eggs on her stool slide, however said the bacteria was off the chart. Most people here dont try and save chickens, so I just took a stab and started her both on Flagyl and the cream for sour crop.

She had gone off her feed. I did try and vomit her yesterday, got quite a bit of fluid with some white mucous chunks out. she ate her moistened feed after. This am she wasnt quite as full on her crop but still bloated feeling, tried to vomit her and got nothing. she ate 2 bites of feed and was done. She has lost weight, her breast bone is quite evident. However at lunch time she ate 1/2 a hard boiled egg. some feed mixed in. She was more resistant to me giving her meds. fought back a bit more. Saw her drink water.

My vet said he wouldnt worm her untill she is better. So all that said, Ive thought she was gonna die a couple times. But then she eats (poos look just a touch better). Ive given a couple squits of Kefier. But Im wondering if I should go ahead and offer probiotics in her water. Ive seen very mixed opinions on probiotics while on meds. some say the meds just kill it off, others say it help heal...Advise?? Anyone??

Different people have their own opinions. I have had good success with probiotics even when I had chickens on meds.
Hope the opinion helps you good luck

Well I guess at worst Id be waisting the probiotic tablets. That I don't care...I. just know I've had her since she was a day old...and hope I can help her. I'll just add em to her water and hope it helps I guess. Thanks for your advise :)

Last edited:
Like a roller coaster...she was drinking water all morning, refused food. Gave her meds, going to wait a hour or so. Giver her time to absorb the water and meds. then gonna try to vomit her. Her crop is like a water ballon again.

Back
Top Bottom