Found a random Guinea Fowl

meeko626

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 4, 2015
So just by complete coincidence my dad and were just finishing putting our chicken coop up last night. I live in a small city in Northeast Ohio and out of nowhere we see a weird looking bird kind of like a cross between a chicken and a turkey walking around across the street. Its remained about 50 yards away and looks like a brownish color. It also made a really weird, strange, previously unknown to me before noise. It showed back up again this morning. After looking at pictures online it looks like a guinea fowl. We are the first ones on my street to even get chickens let alone anything else and we have never seen/heard this thing before. Its all by itself and looks extremely lost. So I guess my question is what should I do with it? Try and capture it?

Good luck catching it. lol You could start to try and feed it food and entice it. It will only come if it wants to.

I would leave food and water out for it. Guineas aren't usually as tame as chickens so you aren't likely to catch it. They can fly really well.

When people get adult guineas, so many times they will just turn them loose on their property without confining them for an extended period. Oftentimes these guineas will just fly away because they don't know where they are supposed to be. Or it may have been chased by dogs or predators away from it's home. It's likely that the guinea is lost and doesn't know where to go. If you can get it coming to your place regularly it may eventually stay. Especially when you have chickens around to keep it company. Good luck.
smile.png

Definitely put food and water out for it. As of catching it, unless you have several people helping and a net, your not going to catch it. If it sees your chickens it'll likely stay. They are wonderful birds and eat away all those nasty pests!

Back
Top Bottom