Waterers!

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
Oh boy, we have five different types around here, galvanized and plastic and still have not found a non-leaking waterer. Any suggestions? We're going broke going though the shops!

Last edited:
Don't know what to tell you... try a recirculating dog water bowl from the catalog? We haven't had any trouble from our plastic one *yet*.

Thanks - corrected the type-O and for the water bowl idea. It gets mighty cold up here and we have alot of birds, so the ideal waterer needs to be able to be heated up. Also, big enough that I can avoid filling it twice a day. And I'm not happy that the galvanized ones rust so quickly.

And I'm not happy that the galvanized ones rust so quickly.

thats funny I have been using the 5 gal. one for almost a year and most of the time there outside in all types of weather not rusting as of yet,
I also use the 1 gal plastic one seem to work just fine too, I also have a few Homemade waterers -5 gal buckets that I cut a large hole 3- 4" dim. about 6 to 8" up from the bottom so the chickens or turkeys can drink from these work good but have to fill them daily​

I have a 3 gallon hexagon shaped plastic waterer. Been using it since February. It hasn't leaked yet. We greased the O ring in the lid with vaseline and only HAND TIGHTEN it, i.e., we don't try to tighten the lid down with all our might. I've been very satisfied with it.

Quote:
We used a waterer that we saw on here. You get a free to $1 five gal bucket from the wal mart bakery (just go ask for an empty bucket w/ lid, it'll either be free or cost u a buck) then wash it well. Then, drill two holes, one about 3/8 and one about 9/16 (doesn't really matter, just so long as one hole is big enough for air to go into and one is big enough for water to come out easily) one on top of the other about an inch from the bottom of the bucket. Then get an oil pan ($3-$4). This is the really tricky part. Put a piece of duct tape over the holes making sure that you use your fingernail to adhere the tape good (u gotta make sure the outside of the bucket is dry otherwise the tape won't stick), then fill the bucket with water. Then snap the lid on tight, carry it out to the coop, place bottom of bucket in the oil pan and pull the tape. Voila! A 5gal waterer for less than $10.....I'll post pics or a diagram in a little bit....

BTW, most of those buckets have lids that come with a rubber seal on the inside edge. Remove the seal to clean the lid, but don't throw it away or cut it! A spoon or fork inserted under the edge of the seal will pull it out without screwing it up. This seal helps prevent leaking!

Here's my diagram....don't crack on me too bad, I'm not exactly an artist....LOL!
scan0001-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom