Can a chicken 'lose her voice'

Teila

Bambrook Bantams
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Forrest Beach, FNQ, Australia
Hi and thank you in advance for your thoughts

I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or the chicken behavioural section.

Anyways, I have a Bantam Langshan just over two years old.

For various reasons, today she was clucking louder and more often than she usually does. She is a bit of a whinger but was more vocal about it today; hens not being where she thinks they should, hens on the roost when they should not be etc. Her frequent protests required many breaks from work to run out and see that all was OK.

Anyways, this afternoon, when I let them out for a free range, she proceeded to tell me how bad her day had been and when talking to me her 'voice' is sort of gravelly.

She appears quite happy otherwise, scratching, eating, drinking. Her comb is still nice and red and she has no nasal or eye discharge. Her breathing is normal and not strained. Poops look OK also.

I am probably just being a worry wart and while I do not think she is ill, I will feel better if I knew chickens 'lose their voice' from overuse the same as we do?

Edited to Add: Gravelly is probably not a correct description, I think Hoarse would better describe it.

Last edited:
Hi Teila

I have read that there are some conditions that a gravelly voice can be a symptom of - thrush, worms, and the beginnings of respiratory illness being a few of them. It could even be something as simple as a piece of bread lodged in the wrong spot. If you do a Google search for "Chicken losing it's voice" it will bring up a myriad of questions on this very topic (usually linked up to BYC!) and makes for interesting reading.

That being said, if she is otherwise well I would just stick to the tried and true "Keep an eye on her!" Unless she exhibits other issues I wouldn't be too concerned. What I would do is make sure she has been wormed recently - just in case it has anything to do with that.

Good luck, I hope you wake to find her back to her regular, chatty, self in the morning
smile.png

- Krista

Thank You krista74 :)

Yep, I will definitely keep an eye on her. I have kind of tried to stay away from researching too much or I will just freak myself out!

Like you, I have seen that this can be a symptom of something not so nice but I am hopeful that it is just due to her being extraordinarily vocal today.

She is due for a worming but I was putting it off until I had integrated a mumma and chicks into the flock but as you mention, if she is no better tomorrow, I might have to look at doing the big girls while still separated from the others.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about chicken anatomy but might just research if they can go 'hoarse' from too much vocalising, same as us. It may be a coincidence that she is hoarse after so much carry on today.

Thanks again and yep, I hope that tomorrow she sounds better.

It's probably nothing. They like to worry us for fun you know!

Alas, I will have much less worry soon. I am moving house and have to give away my flock on Wednesday. I have cried a thousand tears I reckon. They have been my best friends for the last year and I will miss them dearly.

I wish you and yours all the very best.

- Krista

Aaaaw krista74 I am so sorry to hear that.

The reason we worry is because we love them so much. I cannot even begin to imagine how hard this would be for you.

You are in my thoughts
hugs.gif

For future reference if anyone is researching this, apparently they may lose their voice or become hoarse from over vocalising.

I am going to continue to keep a close eye on Dusty but this morning she is still perky, no discharge, good appetite, poops are fine, generally a picture of health and she has her normal voice back.

Of course, I am not saying to not be vigilant if one of your hens loses her voice but if it happens to be on a day when she has been out of character excessively vocal, she may just have overdone the talking.

She might have a respiratory disease I don t remember the name but my rooster had it if she's feeling a little lazy and resting more then usual.my rooster closed his eyes and bent his head.if these symptoms appear use ammoxcaline my local vet me said to use it and in three days he was all well

Thank You Cack-a-doodle for your thoughts/advice which are appreciated
smile.png

It has been nearly three days since she went hoarse and not only has her ‘voice’ returned to normal, she is still a picture of health.

Looks like chickens can go hoarse from excessive vocalisation
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom