hello

finaltry3

Hatching
May 26, 2015
Hi I just joined and have to say the site is very informative. I was looking for solutions to stop the rooster from balding and clawing our hens...they look bad running around bald...felt like a bad owner and it led me here. will try some of what i read. My husband and I have had the chickens for about 1 1/2 years. He really wanted them so was suppose to be his pride and joy now i seem to be doing a fair bit with them lol.
We have 1 rooster and 6 laying hens all black Australorp. My daughter is so in love with them. (She's 3) we also have a 6 month old and a cat.
thank you for such a great resource.

Roosters can handle 10 hens, any less and the poor girls get overbred and damaged. If you don't need the rooster for fertilized eggs to hatch or to sell, the hens will continue to lay eggs without him. They will not suffer further damage or be stressed and harassed. Even when there are enough hens the roosters tend to pick their favorites (ones who aren't good at escaping) and breed them over and over.

If you don't want to rehome the rooster - maybe you could keep him in a separate pen by himself, for a while, so the hens can heal up. There used to be sellers on BYC of hen aprons but, I haven't found any current ads. A hen apron or saddle, covers the back - so they aren't torn up by a rooster's spurs.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

X2 on drumstick diva's advice.

Here's a link with a free hen saddle pattern: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/424354/free-chicken-apron-saddle-pattern

If you don't sew, some people make them out of old jeans, just cut with some ties or openings for the wings.

Good luck with your gals.

Thank you for the welcome and advice....i think we may have another issue we are trying to sift through the forum to try and find an answer but it doesn't look like the posted pictures...one of our hens has lost her vent feathers and is a little reddened not sure if vent gleet or the result of pecking....she is getting picked on but not sure by who. think i will try and post a picture to get some advice of people who know chickens.
we will also be getting the aprons for the girls and will be separating our rooster elmo (named by my daughter) once the small coop is secured unless she needs islating first.

Back
Top Bottom