What breed is this?

babysniffles

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
I bought ten chicks this year at my local ag store. Three of them were supposed to be Welsummers and three were supposed to be Spotted Sussex. Well, the Spotted Sussex have turned out to be Barred Rocks, no question. The Welsummers are, for me, a bit trickier. I can't tell for sure what they are.

It's the three black hens. The one with the bigger comb (which is almost certainly a rooster) has almost a green sheen to his feathers, which you can kind of see in the top photo. I tried to get closer photos, but they took off.

I bought ten chicks this year at my local ag store. Three of them were supposed to be Welsummers and three were supposed to be Spotted Sussex. Well, the Spotted Sussex have turned out to be Barred Rocks, no question. The Welsummers are, for me, a bit trickier. I can't tell for sure what they are.

It's the three black hens. The one with the bigger comb (which is almost certainly a rooster) has almost a green sheen to his feathers, which you can kind of see in the top photo. I tried to get closer photos, but they took off.
The black birds are probably Black Australorps. The brown/multi-colored birds appear to be Easter Eggers. The red bird in the first photo is a Production Red. The barred bird in the first photo looks like a Cuckoo Marans or Cuckoo Marans mix.

The black birds are probably Black Australorps. The brown/multi-colored birds appear to be Easter Eggers. The red bird in the first photo is a Production Red. The barred bird in the first photo looks like a Cuckoo Marans or Cuckoo Marans mix.

I agree. One of my Easter egged sis identical to these!

In the first pic I see an Australorp cockerel at 12 o'clock, then around an Easter egger pullet, a cuckoo Marans pullet, the brown bird in the center could possibly be a hatchery quality Welsummer or a clean faced Easter egger---what color are her legs?. Then a production red, and an Aussie pullet.

Back
Top Bottom