Swollen itchy face? Suggestions?

Biologrady

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Came home today and saw that one of my hens has a puffy swollen face on one side... Swollen eyelid, and down side of face. Eye not swollen shut, and looks okay, just puffy and assymetrical. It looks like she may have a tiny soft-bodied tick in the eyelid crease; I'm waiting for my husband to get home so he can hold her while I get a better look. These are not painless like the dog or deer ticks...I've been bitten by these and it really burns intensely, almost like a bee sting. I think much of the swelling might be from all the head-scratching and shaking I'm seeing her do now. Anybody know if I can use topical Benadryl on her face to give her some relief? Or is it better left alone?

Did you get this figured out?
Not sure about the benadryl. I know you can use neosporin as long as it doesn't have pain killer. Not sure if that would help a bite though.

Took off two tiny ticks, clustered together. Her face is still somewhat puffy, definitely more on the side where the ticks were, but she is scratch on and shaking her head less and still eating and drinking fone, so I figured leaving her be was better than obsessing about it. I did put topical Benadryl on as soon as I took the ticks off, so it didn't seem to hurt her, and maybe it helped?

Back
Top Bottom