Chickens dying off like crazy....

jed1154

Songster
14 Years
Jul 10, 2008
We got a lot of baby chicks this year in batches. I had 6 guineas...3 died. They all ended up in a condition of some sort where they would walk and then sit down...lethargic and as if their legs were deformed. There is a 4th one now that is showing the same signs but has an inflamed joint on the left foot...not sure if its an abcess or what....so that's one issue.

This last batch I got 14 birds. Assorted cochins, partridge cochins, silver laced wyandottes, gold laced wyandottes....Im down to 7 now, and at least 4 more tonight look like something is wrong and I expect them to die soon. One has a wet butt...two more have bloated abdomens..and a couple more just have bare spots of missing feathers.

What in the hell is going on? Its been VERY VERY wet here, but these birds are in a raised brooder. Their bedding was wet due to a roof leak I did not know about until tonight. So, I don't know if that is a contributing factor.

Anyway, ive never in my 25 years of keeping birds, lost more than 1 or 2 and those were dog killings.

Their food is medicated chick starter if that matters. Anyone ever seen this? Can I save any of the remaining birds?

I'm not a expert like other awesome people here.

But personally I would change the bedding, keep an eye out for any wetness. Give them some heat if they don't already have it.
Put electrolytes in their water, I've found that it does wonders.

Do you know if they got vaccinations? If they did the medicated feed is useless, and it makes the vaccine useless.

Did you order them from a hatchery? Or got them at a feed store?

They could have coccidiosis, but I've never really dealt with it before to my knowledge.

I'm not a expert like other awesome people here.

But personally I would change the bedding, keep an eye out for any wetness. Give them some heat if they don't already have it.
Put electrolytes in their water, I've found that it does wonders.

Do you know if they got vaccinations? If they did the medicated feed is useless, and it makes the vaccine useless.

Did you order them from a hatchery? Or got them at a feed store?

They could have coccidiosis, but I've never really dealt with it before to my knowledge.
X2. I would treat for coccidiosis. On top of that, I would buy Marek's vaccinated chicks and keep them separate for at least 3 weeks. With coccidiosis, I too have found the medicated feed not so good and mine had a vaccine for it once and one still got it.

Do you have a bird flu epidemic in your area? I don't know much about it but all through Iowa(which is where I live) Minnesota and surrounding states birds are dropping like flies and the farm stores aren't even selling chicks anymore. Many bird farms have had to mass euthanize their flocks. They're having everyone with a flock that lives within 6 miles from a confirmed case tested. I don't mean to alarm you but something to think about!

These all came from the feed store, but they come from Ideal Hatcheries. I have no idea if they are vaccinated, im guessing not.

I did remove them all and put them in my backup cage, its small, but its clean until I can remove all bedding and make a repair.

Any problem with soaking the brooder down with clorox? Will it help? WIll it hurt? Id let it all dry, of course.

I added electrolytes and a probiotic to their water. So far, no more dieoffs...aside from a Guinea which is still alive but now no longer mobile. Ill probably have to 'take care' of her. She appears to be degrading.

Back
Top Bottom