Free range turkeys and heritage breeds?

Orpington2813

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
Alright I have a bunch of questions. I have chickens that I free range. They are out all day doing whatever they want and then at night they go into there coop and I shut the door and then open it again in the morning. I want to get turkeys and was wondering if I could do the same thing with them that I do with my chickens? I was looking at some Bronze turkeys but is that a heritage breed? I read that if they weren't heritage they wouldn't stay. Is that true? What would be the best thing to do to get any to stay? I will be getting grown turkeys around a year of age. Any advice appreciated!
smile.png

I was worried about the same issue, but I just got some Narragansett this year and they never go very far. They roam all day around the yard, never going more than 50 feet, then right before sunset they all go in there pen to there roosting area. I tried to not use a roost, because my chickens will just lie down....but not turkeys!!! The higher the better. I love them so much. They have extreme personalities and will follow you where every you do...ie going down to check the mail...so be carefull!!

My personal opinion is that i Love my turkeys, they are my favorite birds, an i have a flock of 30! :D

Your not suposed to keep chicken and turkeys togther because of the blackhead parasite. Chickens can carry it in their guts but its deadly to a turkey. The parasite lives in the ground for up to two years after chickens have inhabited it, And lastly turkeys should not be on the same patch of land two years in a row. It can be a pain if you dont have a minimum of 1/2 an acre of land. I have gottten around all of this by planning for the very back of my property to become my turkey house. I dont let anything back there right now. I currently keep them on the very Front so for these 6-8 months they are on different land and after a yr on the back i will be able to move them back up. I also seperate the quail and chickens who all live in the middle with me :)

Now, i free range my turkeys during the day and its So Fun lol! I have to alter whos allowed out and where they can go once they are out. They want to always know what ive got for them or what im doin over there. My Bourbon Reds will fly accross my yard. Can u imagine all 5 ft of wingspan 30 lb bird, cruisin up to u in your yard?!

I am very glad for the time and money i invested into mine but i imagine that buying adults would have been alot different. I bought poults, at 9 wks they were fairly past any fear of sudden death, but still young enough for me to train them to our home and us. Theyre super sweet.

I would reccommend putting all of that to the side though and really planning to meet their needs, it can be tough to seperate their pens and tougher still to free range them.

Texas Turkey Good luck with yours! Thats the first ive heard of the turkeys sendn themselves to bed! Theyll follow anyone with feed though ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Standard Bronze breed is heritage, yes.

There is also the larger Broad-Breasted Bronze, but it is not heritage and cannot breed without artificial insemination.

I have a book with a huge list of heritage turkey breeds/varieties, if you like I could find it and type it out for you.

Back
Top Bottom