Baby chick not growing

thomasboyle

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2013
NW Hills of CT
I ordered 6 new baby chicks two weeks ago. All is going well, except one of the chicks, a Barred Holland, is not growing. They were all born on the same day, and the other 5 have more than double in size, getting longer like chickens do, but this one still looks like a chick, and is not getting longer or significantly bigger. She is eating and drinking normally, but not maturing. Any ideas?

I also have the same thing going on with my bown leghorns mine look just like yours. I had posted a thread in the new members. This is what of the members replied back to me.

As for your other leghorn if it's eating and drinking and acting normal I would not be too worried. Birds even of the same breed can grow at differing rates. I've had it with my polish, chicks that have hatched from the same have had differing rates of growth.

I have been watching my baby chicks and noticed that they are different sizes. From what I call my fluff ball/ runt the other chicks sizes range from medium size to what you would call normal size.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I am still scratching my head as I look at them all so big, and this one so small. She'll probably get "pet" status since she different from the others!

I have 8 chicks that are 8 weeks old, and 3 of them are silkies. One of the silkies has been so much tinier than everyone else also! She's eating and drinking and playing. She's always one of the first to run up to me to get treats, etc. At 8 weeks old, she's just BARELY starting to feather in on the other parts of her body besides her wings. I think from what I've heard, this sometimes just happens. I just figured I would share my experience because she's still doing great even though she's only about the size of a 3 week old chick still :)

I will try to get pics of my baby chicks. I am not tech savy, so I would have to enlist my husband for help.

Thank you for sharing your experience, its nice to know that their is someone else that has info. And that you aren't the only one dealing with what is going on with the chicks.

What kind of treats do you give your chicks?

Thank you for sharing your experience, its nice to know that their is someone else that has info. And that you aren't the only one dealing with what is going on with the chicks.

What kind of treats do you give your chicks? 

No problem. I give them blueberries, strawberries, banana, leftover salad, occasionally some raisins or some organic multi grain bread crumbled up.

Back
Top Bottom