i LOVE my ladies!

Ebbie

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2015
Philadelphia MS
Hi everyone, I am new to the sight - I have had my girls now for about 3 years - well not the same set of girls I started out with....coyotes and pack dogs on different occasions have dwindled my flock and I have had to "re"new with new ones I have raised. My latest INTRUDERs have been snakes - I thought my ladies were on a sabbatical from egg laying...however,low and be hold they were doing fine and so were the "snakes"! About 3 weeks ago I shot my first snake and then yesterday afternoon I got the second one. That is how I found the BYC page - I did a google search on how to trap Chicken Snakes!!! And wa-la - here I am! Check out this photo from yesterday!

I am now trying to find a minnow trap as described by a BYC member!! I cannot loose many more nights of sleep being chased by these boogers!

I thought our local Walmart had the type I needed but alas, it was a different type than was shown on their website - SURPRISE!

And no moth balls do not work! So any other ideas I am all for hearing them!

Sincerely,

Ebbie

It was truly awful. I am someone who does not kill anything - well accept for when bugs hit the windshield and in the last 4 weeks I have now killed 2 snakes! The first one I saw I "chased" off - ha ha ha ha ha and we put out a ton of Moth balls - well, the rest is history now....I just do NOT like snakes and then to have to kill it..........oh geez! Not my idea of fun! Where in NC do you live? I have a very dear and best friend who lives in Waxhaw NC!!!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!
frow.gif

I cannot even write or say that S word.
hide.gif
There was a thread going on here years ago, of how to protect your birds from them. One person suggested putting out rolls of poultry wire, spiraled on the ground like a slinky toy. They get caught up trying to move thru the wire and either die there or predators come along and pick them off.

Sounds like it should work. They posted photos of them caught in the wire and unable to get free.

It was truly awful.  I am someone who does not kill anything - well accept for when bugs hit the windshield and in the last 4 weeks I have now killed 2 snakes! The first one I saw I "chased" off - ha ha ha ha ha and we put out a ton of Moth balls - well, the rest is history now....I just do NOT like snakes and then to have to kill it..........oh geez! Not my idea of fun!  Where in NC do you live? I have a very dear and best friend who lives in Waxhaw NC!!!

I AM THE SAME ABOUT Snakes, you did great!

My thoughts on this is anything that can make me scream like a banshee can't not be good for my health. It's either them or me. I hate to do it (my heart pounds like crazy) but I have a special designated snake stick ( a hoe) And keep it by my side.

Back
Top Bottom