OK........got to make a choice (PICS!)

Mikeeeeeeeeee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 20, 2007
Wetumpka
I need advice.
I have 5 RIRs that were 5 weeks old yesterday ( 10/30/08).
2 pullets and 3 roos.
I have two roos that are continually facing off and generally disturbing the others.
The other roo seems to know his place. I will call him #3.

2 & 3 are about the same size. 1 is the biggest of the 3 roos.
1 & 2 are the two that cant seem to figure out who is the top dog.
Both will not let me hold them without tricking them with treats.

3 on the other hand will walk up to me and beg to be petted, stroked under the chin and loves attention. He is not the biggest. He is not the prettiest.
But I like him the most. He will stand his ground, but for the most part seems to be the most confident.

I will keep one so that I have a nice trio. Which one would you keep?

Last edited:
Quote:
Not worried about showing. Just want a nice trio to start a flock of my own breedline. These are nice looking RIRs. They are not as nice as Bamachicken's, but they are nice.

Having a nice rooster is the greatest pleasure of owning chickens. Cocky ones that are constantly sparing will often decide they don't like you around either. Keep the gentle one, He will be better to your hens and better to you. I breed for temperament here it is genetic and you only have to have a mean rooster once to know you never want one again.

Keep the one you want and this spring when I have lots of eggs, I will send you eggs from Julie's line of birds. You just pay the shipping. I have 20 hens and three roosters from her eggs. They just aren't laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom