Best Pie crust recipes

bulldog-girl

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Estacada, OR
I have never been able to make a tender homemade pie crust. I try all the hints like don't overwork the dough and chill it etc. I have heard that lard makes the best crust. Anyone want to share their secrets? I usually just buy the ready made Marie Calender crust wich is really good actually but would love to master the homemade crust.
yippiechickie.gif

This is the one I use from a friend's mother. It is easy and I get many compliments. Enjoy. Lill

5 cups all purpose flour

1 pound/2 cups shortening or unsalted butter

1 egg

1 T white vinegar

2 T sugar

pinch salt

water

Cut together flour and shortening. I found it best to add the shortening in at least 2 batches.

Beat together the egg, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a measuring cup. Add enough water to bring it up to 1 cup. Stir. Add to flour and shortening. Knead for a minute or two.

Makes enough dough for 3 pies (top & bottom). You can freeze any you do not use.

Miss Prissy, the queen of all things good uses store made pie crusts??? I am glad I was sittin' down when I read that!

2 cups flour
2/3 cup butter flavor Crisco
1/2 to 3/4 cup water

Enough for 2 crusts.

I often do use them. They are easy, quick and convenient. I have way too much going on to stand around rolling out pie crusts.
smile.png

If you find a nice family style bakery they will often sell you pie shells.

If I didn't tend my own flocks I would make more homemade crusts.

I am so glad someone else asked the question of pie crusts. I have only found one recipe for crust, from an 1939 cookbook. Tried it, yucky! guess they didn't have tastebuds back then lol

My better homes and gardens cookbook has all these great recipes, but most start with the words store bought such and such. Guess I really need to go cookbook shopping more often. And be pickier on what they contain.

You really want to spend all that time with cold hands?

Ritz deep dish shells

TOTALLY!
thumbsup.gif

I've made peach pies using frozen cling-free peaches and frozen pie shells, and the people to whom I give them always call and say 'that was the best pie I've ever tasted!'

One thing I do differently is put some small bits of butter in the bottom of the pan before I pour the fruit mixture in.​

Chicken Boo's recipe is very similar to the one I've used for the past 40 years. Always flakey and very good. The key to me is to use half Crisco/half unsalted butter. The recipe was passed on to me by a friend's mother who was locally famous for her wonderful pies. "Just make a couple batches some morning and put in the freezer. Then they're ready when you want them." (That was her advice to me.)

For those of you who dispatch your own chickens - if you render the fat (schmaltz) you can make incredible savory pie crusts for meat pies and the like - dumples etc. I do make homemade crust for that. Sweet pastry - not so much.

Back
Top Bottom